[HOW TO] Change Email Address

by JoeyTBND

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[HOW TO] Change Email Address

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi there, 

I am trying to update my email in origin however I keep getting "ID contains a prohibited word or character" underneath the email box when I hit 'Save.' I am trying to change it from an '@hotmail.co.uk' to an '@gmail.com' one but it is being a pain and preventing me from carrying out my purchase. My new email only containts Alphabetical characters so I don't know what the problem is. I have tried using Firefox, Chrom and IE to do this but to no avail. 

Merry Xmas

Message 1 of 508 (13,511 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot change email due to - "ID contains a prohibited word or character"

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Hey everyone.

We're currently looking into this, but in the meantime, I have found two specific ways of adjusting your email address which I've verified myself that doesn't hit this issue.

1. If you've ever been a Star Wars: The Old Republic player, head to https://account.swtor.com/user/login and login to your Origin account there. You can adjust your email address at that page.

2. If you've NEVER been a Star Wars: The Old Republic player, please contact Customer Support via hthttps://help.ea.com/contactus and they will work with you to manually change your email address. Please check this step-by-step list for further assistance: [HOW TO] Change email address

Thanks all, and apologies for the inconvenience while we look into this.

View in thread

Message 21 of 508 (11,627 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

Plz can someone help? i have teh exact same probelm.

Message 2 of 508 (13,281 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

SAME **bleep**ING PROBLEM HERE !! FIX THE BUGS 

Message 3 of 508 (13,278 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Atleast I'm not the only one with this problem... It's a bit ridiculous how it doesn't take gmail.

Message 4 of 508 (13,231 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Me too! I've even tried a non-gmail or yahoo and it still doesn't work. The email is all letters too, so I don't know what is the problem. Merry christmas though guys Standard smile

Message 5 of 508 (13,207 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Not just @gmail.com....@hotmail.com failing too Frown

Message 6 of 508 (13,152 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So pretty much, no one can change their email?!?! How wondeful...

Message 7 of 508 (13,091 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Its been over 2 days and EA still has not even addressed the issue. I would like to know that they at least know about it.

Message 8 of 508 (12,898 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I got in contact with the guys through the live chat, got it changed with no issues Standard smile Don't know if they are going to fix it, but I did link the support guy to this thread, hopefully he'll pass it up.

Message 9 of 508 (12,887 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Please can somebody fix this issue!

It's driving me round the bend! Live blocked me out of my e-mail account  (the e-mail I used when I made my origin account back in 2009) when it got 'hacked' a year back, only now I want to download a game from origin but it's very difficult when you can't access your e-mails! When I went to change my e-mail I got the "ID contains a prohibited word or character" message. I would really love to purchase & download a game from origin, but I can't until the issue is fixed. Doesn't help the game is out of stock in all stores. Confusedmileymad:

Message 10 of 508 (12,782 Views)