Can you download to one computer, then install to a different computer ?

by TheSkaBob

Original Post

Can you download to one computer, then install to a different computer ?

★★★★★ Newbie

We live in a rural area and have small monthly download limits, most games are 20-40GB or larger and would take more data then we get for an entire month. Since Battlefront only gives you an empty box with download code, I would need to download the game someplace else, like my work, then bring it home on a usb drive and install it.  Can I do it that way ? I don't really want to unhook my computer and set it up at my work for a day and download the game. 

Message 1 of 8 (242 Views)

Re: Can you download to one computer, then install to a different computer ?

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@TheSkaBob

Yes, this is actually possible.  Follow the steps below EXACTLY and you will be able to do so:

1.  Copy the game folder (i.e "STAR WARS Battlefront") to an external drive (or USB drive)

2.  Once transferred re-name the folder "Copy of ..."

3.  Connect the drive to the PC you wish to install the game on

4.  Transfer the folder to the drive that you are planning on installing the game to ( the C drive, D drive, etc)

5.  Open up your Origin Client

6.  Right-click on the game you want to download / install and select "Download"

7.  Let the download go for about 30-60 sec and hit "Pause" (or the Pause symbol)

8.  Find the folder on the drive that it is downloading to

9.  Open up the folder that the games are in and delete ALL files in that folder, but LEAVE THE FOLDER THERE

10.  Now go to the folder you transferred from the external source (Copy of ...)  and select and copy ALL the files inside that folder (not the folder itself)

11.  Go to the folder that Origin created and you just deleted the files from and Paste the files from the "Copy of ..." folder

12.  Go back to your Origin Client and press resume on the download

13.  It will now take a min or two and then your download will jump to 100% and install the game

14.  Enjoy!!!

Post back and let me know how it goes!!!

Did my post help you? Click "Grant XP"
Did my post solve your issue? Click "Accept As Solution"

I do not work for EA. I am just a gamer helping fellow gamers.

See you on the Battlefield!!!

Multi-Platform Elite Race: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4

I DO NOT ANSWER PMs. IF YOU NEED HELP, POST A NEW THREAD SO THE WHOLE COMMUNITY CAN GIVE INPUT, AND IF IT GETS SOLVED, EVERYONE CAN SEE THE SOLUTION.

Message 2 of 8 (239 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks, I will try that.

Message 3 of 8 (234 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Keep me posted and let me know if it worked for you!!!

I DO NOT ANSWER PMs. IF YOU NEED HELP, POST A NEW THREAD SO THE WHOLE COMMUNITY CAN GIVE INPUT, AND IF IT GETS SOLVED, EVERYONE CAN SEE THE SOLUTION.

Message 4 of 8 (231 Views)

★★★ Newbie

HELLO

I BOUGHT AN ORIGINAL COPY OF THE PC GAME THE SIMS 4 FROM THE STORE SO I HAVE A PHYSICAL COPY OF THE CD. I HAD IT ON MY LAPTOP.

NOW I HAVE A NEW COMPUTER SO SINCE I LOST MY ORIGIN ACCOUNT. I CREATED A NEW ORIGIN ACCOUNT AND REINSTALLED THE GAME ON MY NEW COMPUTER BUT IT SAYS CODE HAS ALREADYB BEEN USED. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME TO GET IT TO WORK.\

THANK YOU

Message 5 of 8 (228 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Shera290491

This is because you are trying to redeem the code again on another Origin Account.  The code is a ONE TIME use code.  You will have to sign into the original Origin Account and your game will be in the library and ready for you to download to your new PC.

Message 6 of 8 (219 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@TheSkaBob

Did you get a chance to try this out yet?  How did it go?

Message 7 of 8 (206 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hi.

I have manage to retrieve my old origin account.recovered new password. but my game isn't in my library maybe because I uninstalled it........ reediming code it says already been use.

Message 8 of 8 (185 Views)