Can two people play Origin games on the same computer, but different accounts?

by Arswydus

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can two people play Origin games on the same computer, but different accounts?

★★ Novice

I'm switching from console to PC and I wanted to know if I buy Battlefield 4 on my PC and install it, could my brother play it on his account on my PC? It's the same computer, but just different accounts.  It's mostly so we don't mix stats.

Message 1 of 17 (31,103 Views)

Accepted Solution

Yes and no.

★★★ Novice

Hello! Nice to see you are switching from Console to PC. Welcome to the PC master race!

Ok, so the answer to your question is, You could install BF4 on one PC and use two different accounts but you will need to purchase BF4 for each individual origin account to actually use it. What I mean to say is that lets say you purchase BF4 on your personal account first and then you play it. Then your brother wants to play BF4 too on his personal account. So he must sign in with his personal account and purchase BF4 for his Origin account too. Only then you could actually have different stats. This actually means you need to purchase BF4 twice for two users even on the same PC if you want different stats for each person. In simple words BF4 must be purchased for each individual Origin account if you don't want to use one account for two users(mix stats).

Hope this answers your question.

View in thread

Message 2 of 17 (33,678 Views)

Re: Can two people play Origin games on the same computer, but different accounts?

Community Manager (retired)

You can't play on the same copy of the game from two different accounts - a single copy of the game can only be associated with one account.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for being part of Answer HQ Community!
Make sure that you are automatically notified by email when your question gets a reply by clicking the 'Subscriptions' box on the right hand side of the 'New Question' page.
Did a solution help you? Let everybody know by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" button.
If you wish to provide further information or answer a question, click on the "Reply" button.
If you are especially happy with someone's response, reward them by clicking on "XP".

View in thread

Message 3 of 17 (33,670 Views)

All Replies

Yes and no.

★★★ Novice

Hello! Nice to see you are switching from Console to PC. Welcome to the PC master race!

Ok, so the answer to your question is, You could install BF4 on one PC and use two different accounts but you will need to purchase BF4 for each individual origin account to actually use it. What I mean to say is that lets say you purchase BF4 on your personal account first and then you play it. Then your brother wants to play BF4 too on his personal account. So he must sign in with his personal account and purchase BF4 for his Origin account too. Only then you could actually have different stats. This actually means you need to purchase BF4 twice for two users even on the same PC if you want different stats for each person. In simple words BF4 must be purchased for each individual Origin account if you don't want to use one account for two users(mix stats).

Hope this answers your question.

Message 2 of 17 (33,679 Views)

Re: Can two people play Origin games on the same computer, but different accounts?

Community Manager (retired)

You can't play on the same copy of the game from two different accounts - a single copy of the game can only be associated with one account.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for being part of Answer HQ Community!
Make sure that you are automatically notified by email when your question gets a reply by clicking the 'Subscriptions' box on the right hand side of the 'New Question' page.
Did a solution help you? Let everybody know by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" button.
If you wish to provide further information or answer a question, click on the "Reply" button.
If you are especially happy with someone's response, reward them by clicking on "XP".
Message 3 of 17 (33,671 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Okay, thanks

Message 4 of 17 (31,015 Views)

Re: Can two people play Origin games on the same computer, but different account

★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Stephen wrote:

Hi this is a shame and it is something that Origin should change. For example: I have 2 children who play on the one computer. I don't want them to use my Origin account and they don't want to 'share' one either.

As such, I think what should happen is Origin allow for sub accounts, so people in families don't have to buy the game for each user, as I cant afford to buy 2 or 3 copies of each game.

Message 5 of 17 (28,647 Views)

Re: Can two people play Origin games on the same computer, but different account

★★★ Newbie

I couldn't agree more super lame....

Message 6 of 17 (28,198 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

i totally agree, I think it is stupid that you cant access a game you have bought with two different accounts, as me and my daughter want to both play on the sims 4 that I bought but it isn't possible as I installed it on her account now I cant use it. I refuse to pay more than once for the same game

Message 7 of 17 (27,683 Views)

Re: Yes and no.

★★★ Newbie

I have a similar problem but the thing is that i totally lost one account but i still have the code of the game but now that i have another account i cant play it and i just dont want to buy it again

Message 8 of 17 (25,662 Views)

★★★ Newbie

EA_Stephen wrote:

So, Stephen - please clarify this for me:

I buy Titanfall 2, or Battlefield 1,  and the 40+GB game is downloaded and installed on my computer.

My son, who also uses this computer, wants to play.  First, he needs his own origin account - ok, I get it.   But after that, he not only has to buy his own copy, but he also has to re-download the 40GB installation file and install it in another directory, so we have to take up 80GB of for 2 redundant copies of the game just because 2 people want to play?

...or can you even install a 2nd copy to a different directory? 

EA makes some pretty awesome games, but this limitation stinks.  You'd think that EA would figure out that more than one person may use the same computer. 

I read in another thread that EA was "investigating" a way for Origin to support "family sharing" of games. Where does this stand?  Will Origin ever do it?

Thanks in advance for your reply. 

Message 9 of 17 (25,191 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

+1 for this; multiple users on different Windows user accounts but owning the same games on different Origin accounts should be able to share the same download location! Family sharing even better.

Any news on/response to this?

Message 10 of 17 (24,977 Views)