Re: Torchwood and goat

by realitysquared

Original Post

Torchwood and goat

★★ Novice
I feel the torchwood and goat character should have something added to make them unique. Such as another power. For the torchwood, mortar fire balls that come from his head, and for the goat, another support ability. I spent so long grinding for both of them and the gameplay isn't as fun as I expected. Especially the goat. I can't notice the damage difference in play when I buff someone. It should be increased. I know he's a support character but he can't really hold his own very well. Please consider and think about these ideas.
Message 1 of 6 (938 Views)

Hero (Retired)

With Frontline Fighters being stated as the last major update It's unlikely that we will see any of the existing characters modified in any meaningful manner unless those alternate abilities were already planned and designed as part of the overarching release of updates and I'm confident that we'll see no new maps, customizations or variant characters in the future.

While PopCap definitely has a few alternate abilities still held in reserve I would not expect them to be for either the Torchwood or the Hover Goat 3000 since not all players will have the necessary skill or determination to complete the Trials of Gnomus to unlock them.

As far as the Damage Buffing ability of the Hover Goat 3000, there is a definite effect, however you will not see it as the Goat because the game does not inform you of the damage amounts inflicted by your team mates. If you had the chance to play as a character being buffed y a player using the Hover Goat 3000 you would notice the damage buff if you were already familiar with the damage potential of whatever weapon you were using at he time.

The Hover Goat 3000, like the Torchwood and every other character in the game, has a particular battlefield role to play and a playing style or set of tactics most suited to them, or particular game mode where they shine, and usually if you're having  lot of trouble with a character or don't enjoy them very much it may be that you aren't using them effectively because either they don't suit your play style or you are't adapting your play style to sit them- or maybe you just don't like the play style or tactics most suited for that character. 

Message 2 of 6 (919 Views)

★★ Novice
Maybe the goat could have 5 more health and the buff ray could buff another 5%. If an ability would be added to the goat it could use his hover board or a gadget. And I think a tweak to add very little speed to the torchwood should be added. And if another ability is added to the torchwood it could be a fireball mortar power. Lastly for the torchwood maybe the torchwood's flaming madness ability should do 1 fire damage and make him do 1 extra bullet damage.
Message 3 of 6 (861 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

The goat has insane in-air mobility, especially since he can fall more slowly than other classes at will (Rose and Super Brainz are stuck with their low gravity fields D: ) His damage is comparable to the sunflower at close range due to his firing speeds. His low clip and 2 second reload however can leave him pretty open to retalliation.

I'm pretty satisfied with the character however. If I could change anything, I'd love for him to have a secondary beam to swap out that, instead of increasing damage of your buddy, reduces the time on their cooldown. I'd say if you maintain the beam, cooldowns will come off about 5 seconds earlier at the longest possible scenario (Say 10 for drones.)

They could do this by reducing the reimaining cooldown by 1% per second the beam is on the player. resulting in a total % cooldown based on the cooldowns themselves rather than a set variable number that could be gamebreaking. (I'd like to see a 10 second cooldown bean bomb but it won't ever happen)

Message 4 of 6 (814 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

While the Idea sounds cool I think in practice a "Cooldown Reduction" beam would be far less useful than the current Damage Buff one- when you think about it very few characters have a weapon with infinite ammo offset by a cooldown penalty when overheated and the more veteran players quickly adapt their play style to include burst fire based on the audio cues of their weapon as opposed by the "Fire Continuously Until Overheat" mistake commonly done by more casual or new players.

That being said I doubt that a "Cooldown Reduction" beam would have any real use at all unless you decide to shadow one of those few characters who have the potential for a cooldown penalty waiting for that 2 or 3 seconds where you'll be useful; whereas the Damage Buff effect benefits every shot they land.

EDIT:

I just noticed that I missed the fact that you meant Ability Cooldowns as opposed to weapon cooldown penalty.

Such a support ability has the potential to unbalance the game when combined with abilities, like Imp punt, which already have a short cooldown time while making little to no difference with the longer ability cooldowns like the Imps ability to Call their Z-Mech.

Message 5 of 6 (806 Views)

★ Guide

The option would be pretty well rounded I think, most so in the "This is something we don't have but could have" department. Maintaining a beam for 10 seconds on a 10 second cooldown would result in a 9.2 second cooldown while, simultaneously applying to all of the other cooldowns occuring as well. If the numbers were too negligible then the beam would apply to the goat as well (Most so to reduce that Speed boost cooldown) but only while maintaining the beam on a player.

I cannot tell you how many times as an Infantry class I've been vanquished simply because I was waiting that one extra second for my transparent box to indicate my cooldown was up : ( That ONE second. And it occurs far too frequently for me to discount the ideal of some form of support-style cooldown reducing alternative Goastebeam.

Pipe dreams however, as we've already been told we won't get anything for our Spunky little Spacegoat... coast to coast.. but fine tuning would have to be key. If static 1% variable unbalances then it's just a matter of trial and error on specific numbers for each individual ability.

Message 6 of 6 (802 Views)