Re: Origin and software development

by Straatford87

Original Post

Origin and software development

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

On Reddit I noticed a message about great work being done on Origin and asking for feedback on how to improve it. Bear with me here, rant incoming.

How about this: fix the bugs that Origin is completely infested with, make it lightweight instead of a slow piece of *, and make it non-essential to start up games you have installed and verified with Origin at first start up of the game - you get your customer data, and I can simply use the products I pay for without having to put up with your incompetence in building a decent launcher.

After that, MAYBE, start thinking about 'improvements'. Origin has been sub par since it existed.

When I installed Origin I had to install a legacy version and update it from there to the recent version, because the regular ThinClientSetup wouldn't let me install - the process simply doesn't start. It took advanced user stuff to actually get your application to work.

All things considered, Origin actually just needs to disappear rather than get improved.

Beyond that, for some feedback on the quality of the store and the functionality within Origin: you possess the least functionality, the silliest workarounds to make it do what you want (not being able to select install folders for each game install, but having to manually set it within settings before you install is a perfect example of this), and the highest footprint of all publisher's DRM applications. Origin taxes my PC more than Steam does, and Steam has about 1000% more functions than Origin will ever have.

Another striking comparison is the difference between development progress on Uplay (which is ALSO still not what it should be) and progress on Origin. Uplay does actually improve and add functionality. Origin gets updates, but gets progressively worse or remains buggy.

If this is a representation of hard work that is done 'with heart and soul', please fire all your software devs yesterday. You're better off admitting that's a PR story and not the actual truth.

Comments welcome, official feedback even more so. I am genuinely curious why Origin works the way it does and how a large company like EA cannot deliver something of higher quality.

Message 11 of 17 (948 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Vayra86

Hi there,

You're in the right spot if you would like to talk about Origin. I've merged your post into this thread, which is the thread that Reddit referred to. Additionally, sorry that I wasn't able to get back to you sooner - just got back from my weekend!

Note: I will cover all the points you made in this thread. But if you would like to provide direct feedback on which new functions you would like to see added to Origin, then please also check out our Feedback Friday thread:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Feedback-Friday-Volume-4/td-p/6069416

Vayra86 wrote:

On Reddit I noticed a message about great work being done on Origin and asking for feedback on how to improve it. Bear with me here, rant incoming.

We're always ready for a good rant! But first we would like to start out with saying thanks for even taking the time to reach out like this. I personally don't view your post as a rant - instead I view it as you caring about wanting to play your favorite games. I will completely back you up on that! It's why we've set up this feedback program, and opened these Origin forums.

Since we've set up this program, and by talking with you and other players, it's been made clear to us where you want us to improve Origin in terms of functionality, and which bugs are causing you frustration. I just wanted to let you know that we're on it. But it might take a while to fix every bug, or to add all functionality that would make most players happy.

Vayra86 wrote: How about this: fix the bugs that Origin is completely infested with, make it lightweight instead of a slow piece of *, and make it non-essential to start up games you have installed and verified with Origin at first start up of the game - you get your customer data, and I can simply use the products I pay for without having to put up with your incompetence in building a decent launcher.

This is an on-going process, but if there's anything specific (other than having to use Origin) that's bugging you (pun intended), then we would love to hear about it. If you can call out something directly then we will try and verify the problem. If we can, then we can look into fixing it that much faster. 

Vayra86 wrote: After that, MAYBE, start thinking about 'improvements'. Origin has been sub par since it existed.

When I installed Origin I had to install a legacy version and update it from there to the recent version, because the regular ThinClientSetup wouldn't let me install - the process simply doesn't start. It took advanced user stuff to actually get your application to work.

All things considered, Origin actually just needs to disappear rather than get improved.

Two things to mention here:

1. Improvements can be made simultaneously while fixing bugs. That also what we're doing, and that's also what we will keep you updated on. Although, I completely understand that you would prefer to have all bugs fixed first. They are after all what can make or break an experience. Valid point on your end!
  2. The bug that you experienced about not being able to update is something that we're actively investigating now. No news to share at the moment though.

Vayra86 wrote: Beyond that, for some feedback on the quality of the store and the functionality within Origin: you possess the least functionality, the silliest workarounds to make it do what you want (not being able to select install folders for each game install, but having to manually set it within settings before you install is a perfect example of this), and the highest footprint of all publisher's DRM applications. Origin taxes my PC more than Steam does, and Steam has about 1000% more functions than Origin will ever have.

• The store functionality is something that we're always looking into improve. If you've got specific call outs I would recommend them to leave them in our Feedback Friday thread.
  • Scanning your system for games, or adding functionality for having your games on multiple HDD's, is on our radar.
  • Making Origin use less resources on a users system is also one of our on-going improvement areas. 

Vayra86 wrote: Another striking comparison is the difference between development progress on Uplay (which is ALSO still not what it should be) and progress on Origin. Uplay does actually improve and add functionality. Origin gets updates, but gets progressively worse or remains buggy.

I agree with you here in that we haven't kept players updated on what we've been adding to Origin. The current scenario is that we do have frequent updates, but players don't know what we've added in those updates. This is part of the issue that we're trying to cover with this new Origin Spotlight program. We will also try to complement the program wherever you feel that it's necessary.

We're open to further suggestions! 

Vayra86 wrote: If this is a representation of hard work that is done 'with heart and soul', please fire all your software devs yesterday. You're better off admitting that's a PR story and not the actual truth.

I'm not a software developer myself, but I can add that the team does really work hard on making Origin better with every update we release. However, that doesn't mean anything if it doesn't translate directly to a better user experience for you and other players.

Additionally, it's not about us. It's about you as a player. So, all I can add here is: sorry for not meeting your current expectations. You just want to play your games without issues, and it's our task to make that happen. Double noted!

Vayra86 wrote: Comments welcome, official feedback even more so. I am genuinely curious why Origin works the way it does and how a large company like EA cannot deliver something of higher quality.

I hope that most of your questions we're answered. And once more, we're here to talk on the forums whenever you have a question!

Thank you,

Message 12 of 17 (923 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Also when will EA sell there game's on steam ubi does and uplay works with it I would love to see this add so we can buy the game on steam and origin will also work with it also you guys will make a lot more money that way also because of how many steam user's are there 

Message 13 of 17 (755 Views)

EA DICE Team

@SATTY094

Hi,

There are currently no plans to make a return over to our friends at Steam or Ubisoft - it's all about Origin.. :-)

If you've got any questions or feedback to make your experience on Origin better for you, then do please let us know!

Kind regards,

Message 14 of 17 (732 Views)

Re: Introducing Origin Spotlight

★★★ Newbie
How do I get into live chat by myself with an EA representatives
Message 15 of 17 (597 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@KillianQuaid

Go here to contact EA support: https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/new/

• In the upper right corner, choose your region. If you can't find it, choose US or UK.
  • Choose a game. If you need help with an account issue, choose Origin
  • Choose your platform
  • Choose topic and issue to give EA details.
  • Click Select contact option, and hopefully you get in touch with someone fast!

Here are some tips on how to do it if it's complicated!
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/How-to-contact-an-Advisor-via-EA-Help/m-p/5650100

I cannot promise you'll get to the chat, that depends on the options you choose. Standard smile

Good Luck!

Message 16 of 17 (585 Views)

Community Manager
Hi folks,

I'm locking thread to limit necroposting. If you're experiencing issues with Origin, pop open a new thread and include any information you feel is relevant. Standard smile

Thanks,

EA_Lanna
Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 17 of 17 (393 Views)