Re: [PS3] Controller suddenly stops responding and other issues

by Teddybaby69

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PS3] Controller suddenly stops responding and other issues

★ Novice

Hello everyone in the EA Answers. I recently am experiencing some issues with my Need For Speed Rivas game in the PS3, which are as follows:

Problem no. 1 (the most annoying, leaving the game unplayable):

Since last week I'm having a strange bug which "disables" my DualShock 3 Controller - be it while the controller is wired or connected via Bluetooth - and makes it "freeze" in the last given command, eg. if I were previously hitting the gas and steering to the right, the car would remain accelerating and going to the right. It started really subtly, in a way I thought I was not pressing the buttons correctly, as it lasted only a second or less. However, now it is happening all the time, lasting as long as five or ten seconds and everywhere in the game. As a note, the menus work fine and every other game is OK as well.

Problem no. 2:

It is happening since the first mentioned issue started, but does not happen all the time: the Turbo Boost, when activated (any car, anywhere), starts working like normally (the sound and the flames from the exhaust tips come out), but the real effect (the speed increase) does not happen, even though I do not hit anything, not even a light object as a cone. If the gas trigger is released, the car deaccelerates, showing that the Turbo is really not working. It only happens abut 10 - 20 percent of the times I try to use it.

Problem no. 3:

It happens since I own the game (about a month or so) and occurs when leaving Kingfisher Road towards Interstate 4 or some other places, like the Gullwing Drive, or at random spots. When it happens, it is like everything (except the timer of the Events and the Camera) stops for a couple seconds before everything goes back into normal. Does not affect my game so much, as it doesn't happen everytime i cross such spots.

- - -

In summary, I would like to have a solution, as the game is almost unplayable (due to Problem no. 1). Even if I restart the console or start playing after the PS3 is shut down for a day, this error (no. 1) happens after a short time of playing (1 or 2 hours, some times, less than that). I have not noticed these problems on offline play, though. When it is online, it happens, whether it is via Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

To provide additional detail, my PS3 is the 320GB Slim model (late 2010) and my NFS Rivals disc is the BLUS 31201 SA, region 1. My Internet connection is broadband and is 10 Mbps (which I do not think that is slow to play this game) and (except for Problem no. 2) the problems happen when I play as a Racer and as a Cop as well.

Message 1 of 10 (4,688 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Novice

When this happened to me I found the reson the car was not responding to the controller was because of high download usage on my network. Once I stopped downloading while playing the game everything went back to normal.  The car would act eratic and spin in circles without touching the controller..

View in thread

Message 6 of 10 (5,090 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

I have exactly the same problem (№1), from time to time, bust the most annoying problem for me at PS3 is a lower frame rate, for real a can't drive my car, it overreacted all the time and gameplay turns in to a nightmare. My PC doesn't have this problem (like my PS3), the frame rates are very smooth and control of the car almost perfect! Confusedmileymad:

Message 2 of 10 (4,650 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Good to know I'm not alone. Anyway, I think EA should release a patch for this and pay more attention to the game in PS3, as it is not a PS4 exclusive. Sometimes, it seems like Most Wanted had even better graphics on PS3 and this title was "forgotten". I'm not saying it is not good, but these little bugs are really annoying and can prevent one from playing. I can no longer play for more than one or two hours — and that is not good.

Message 3 of 10 (4,643 Views)

★★★ Novice

Guys, to play with more smooth FPS try to set "Single Player" in "All Drive Settings" and log off from Origin at game start!

Message 4 of 10 (4,627 Views)

★★★ Novice

I found one more issue with PS3 game, but actually not with PS3 but with my TV, my Philips has a lot of special setting to optimize picture (Like True 100Hz, Pixel Shading or something), this setting (in case playing NFS) are really slow the picture from PS3, and when i shut them off picture became really fast!

Message 5 of 10 (4,591 Views)

★★★★ Novice

When this happened to me I found the reson the car was not responding to the controller was because of high download usage on my network. Once I stopped downloading while playing the game everything went back to normal.  The car would act eratic and spin in circles without touching the controller..

Message 6 of 10 (5,091 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've had this problem on ps4.  Silence from EA about it! (The controller sticking issue that is)

Message 7 of 10 (4,548 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@foolsgold74 wrote:

I've had this problem on ps4.  Silence from EA about it! (The controller sticking issue that is)

Since you have contacted a game advisor, can you tell us what are the troubleshooting steps you've already tried?

In the meantime I have find this article that might be helpful for those who are experiencing issues with their PS3 controllers:

Message 8 of 10 (4,534 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same issue on the PS4.. I've only had it since installing the Koenigsegg One:1 download pack but the symptoms effect every car making the game completely unplayable.  I've tried the reset of the controller, but this is the only game with the problem.

Message 9 of 10 (4,467 Views)

★★★ Newbie

OK.. I backed up my saved data, deleted everything, reinstalled the game, restored my saved data.  Played the game without the 1.3Gb update and all worked OK.  installed the update, played again, everything still OK.  So for me the only DLC pack not installed is the Koenigsegg One:1.  So my money is on the Koenigsegg One:1 pack being my issue.  Not sure if this will help anyone else.

Message 10 of 10 (4,456 Views)