Shifting in need for speed most wanted 2012

by willspeed37

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Shifting in need for speed most wanted 2012

★ Newbie

Can u select between manual and automatic transmissions,  or is it like hot pursuit  where your stuck with automatic only?

Message 1 of 30 (97,291 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Shifting in need for speed most wanted 2012

★★ Apprentice

There are no options in game to enable manual gearing in most wanted.

(missing a gear during an epic chase could be costly.)

View in thread

Message 2 of 30 (104,229 Views)

All Replies

★★ Apprentice

There are no options in game to enable manual gearing in most wanted.

(missing a gear during an epic chase could be costly.)

Message 2 of 30 (104,230 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

This is really making me rage... The reply "missing a gear during an epic chase could be costly" is sooo out of order... In the old MW you could actually shift yourself, which made it awesome as hell. Ofcourse missing out a gear is horrible but thats a part of the thrill!

Thinking out of the box is rather hard isnt it? stick with the burnout mechs and not go with shifting because hey... we didnt do our homework?

Im prolly raging at someone who cant do much about it tho, but its been like this for the last couple of games now... I bought hot pursuit cause i am used to shifting in nfs... i played it for 22 min and then never looked back at the game for the same reason. And that reason is now also stopping me to buy Most Wanted. Just add in a little feature that makes "a lot" of ppl happy... also makes a lot more revenues too. Ppl that dont want to use the manual shift because its too "costly" dont have to touch the setting, but please let ppl decide for their own wether or not that is "costly"

Message 3 of 30 (96,259 Views)

★ Guide

NFS MW isn't realistic, so why would you have manual gearing? Go play a racing sim, MW is an arcade racing game, if you want to simulate a gear change, release the throttle before the driver shifts up or down.

Message 4 of 30 (96,247 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Realistic or not, to anyone outside of the US an automatic gearbox is something you try and persuade your grandad to use because he keeps grinding the gears in your car now that his clutch foot is a little shaky. It is something that people use because they have failed their driving test 5 times in a NORMAL car.

Why have such great European cars represented if you are going to mock their very existence by putting an automatic gearbox in them - something they would never even contemplate in reality. Did Ariel really license you using their name and associating it with an idiot box ?

Not havng the manual option has not only stopped me playing NFS MW, it has stopped me buying any future EA 'driving' game - be it realistic or not.

And, by the way, there is no such thing as a realistic computer game - they are GAMES , even the so-called simulator genres.

Message 5 of 30 (95,915 Views)

★ Guide

@jowillia wrote:

And, by the way, there is no such thing as a realistic computer game - they are GAMES , even the so-called simulator genres.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/realistic
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/realistic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realism

Message 6 of 30 (95,878 Views)

★★★★ Novice

then the people who will get butt hurt over missing a gear will set it to automatic. seriously most games have both but set auto as the default. its not that hard. i really dont like the fact that you cannot see what gear you are in even if it is an auto. id like that atleast. 

Message 7 of 30 (95,870 Views)

★ Guide

Manual gears, don't exist in Arcade Games, even HI and LO, have been eliminated for FORWARD and REVERSE, Standard smile

Those were the good old days.

Message 8 of 30 (95,866 Views)

★★★ Newbie
The answers here are a joke and totally out of touch with the gaming history. Pretty well every NFS game in the past has had manual gearing. It has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with gameplay and style. Personally I use gear shifting as an alternative to breaking in corners, its not realistic but it sure is a heck of a lot more fun to play! The developers have become lazy and I am truly disappointed with the latest generation of NFS games. These auto only releases fall very short on quality when compared to the epic games like Undercover and Carbon.
Message 9 of 30 (95,566 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Watch the driver, and listen to the number of gear changes (and the sounds) and you'll realize most, if not all, of the cars in the game are in fact manual transmission.

I did notice one of the cars (an automatic I assume) did actually seem to simulate an automatic transmission, and quite well too.

I do love manual transmission (and yes, I am in the US, stop with the stereotypes) and I wish they would have included it.

Message 10 of 30 (95,562 Views)