Re: black screen NFS shift

by EA_Najat

Original Post

black screen NFS shift

★★ Novice

I get a black screen when opening NFS Shift, I downloaded it through Steam, There is audio. I removed the program and redownloaded and installed the game to no avail. Just to see I downloaded Hot pursuit through steam and it worked fine. I removed the drivers for my Radeon 4800 series video card and reinstalled them and it still did not change anything. My processor is a core 2 quad 2.4Ghz. I posted it as Hot pursuit because shift was not listed as an option in the location category.

Message 1 of 4 (1,085 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@johnnybeadman 

If you've already updated your drivers then, please try the compatibility troubleshooter

Try launching the game in windowed mode in case it's a resolution issue (Alt + Enter) after clicking on the play button or try to adjust your screen resolution.

You can also try to repair the installation via Origin - On the Library right-click on the game and select repair.

If the issue persists, you might want to try a clean boot.

The Clean Boot process disables many background tasks that may be causing interference.

Launch the game only just after the clean boot (nothing else.)

Message 2 of 4 (1,054 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, when I first downloaded the game I had a picture, I was in the game initially setting it up, sound, controller preferences, etc. I was in the graphics section of the set up when the screen went black, I wish I could remember exactly  what I had done when that happened, it very well could have been screen resolution, but the game continued to run but with a black screen. I did not know about the game repair you mentioned. I tried the solution for a different version of NFS to no avail. Steam refunded my $ for the game, but I still really want it. I will reply back with the results of your suggestions if I do indeed wind up giving it another go. I figured if I could clean every trace of the game from my computer and my steam acct. It would work right away, possibly. I do appreciate you taking the time with this, especially considering the age of the game..Two thumbs up for still caring...

Message 3 of 4 (1,048 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@johnnybeadman 

I see, I did not notice you bought it on Steam but it should not make any difference, you'll still be able to run the repair function in Origin (right-click on the game in your Origin Library.)

The fact that you were able to hear the sounds makes me think it's a related to the screen/ game resolution.

That reminds me that you can also trigger the windowed mode, by doing so you should be able to play normally and that will confirm the resolution problem.

Launch the game and press Alt + enter simultaneously in order to trigger the windowed mode.

Message 4 of 4 (1,045 Views)