Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit - Massive FPS drop

by EA_Barry

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit - Massive FPS drop

★ Novice

Hey there!

So, boring story here: I was visiting my cousin and then she told me that she bought a Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) Limited Edition copy, but it didn't run on her PC because of the specs (she didn't check it before buying it). Then, she gave it to me, hoping that it runs on mine. Guess what? It does! =D
At least it should do it perfectly...

So: INTERESTING STORY HERE: Well, I've installed the game ('bout an hour of a long and slow installation) and then tried to play it. Well, I can do it, that's good! BUT, past the intro (the main menu part), there's a huge (I mean massive) FPS drop. From 60~59FPS, it drops to 16~19 and won't come back up. Instead, it will decrease, wich makes the game pretty much unplayable.

I've even tried to set to lower settings, to deactivate a core and everything, but nothing worked. The FPS still drops and won't come back up.

I know that this is not a hardware problem (I'll post the specs that I have), neither driver, since I've seen a lot (I mean A LOT) of other threads like this one, but NONE of'em seems to have a proper solution.

Just to make things clear: I can run NFSMW2012 on medium (at least) on 30FPS with no drops. Dead Space (whole trilogy) on ultra. Battlefield 3 on medium and so on... so, this is a game problem.

Is there a fix to it? I'd really like to play the game and all, but a racing game with so much lag is really unplayable.

Message 1 of 6 (10,275 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@Azeygar

Thanks. Dedicated RAM is good and drivers are up to date. No other obvious issues.

It is possible there is some other software causing the performance drops you are seeing.

Can I ask you to try a clean boot before starting the game and report back here please?

Clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

barry.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (11,628 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Azeygar

Hey can you generate and then post your Dxdiag report here so we can take a look please.

I suspect your video card does not meet the dedicated (rather than shared) video RAM requirement of 256MB.

http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

barry.png
Message 2 of 6 (10,251 Views)

★ Novice

Well, even with that amount of information...

Okay, then. Here's the diagnostic.

Message 3 of 6 (10,247 Views)

Community Manager

@Azeygar

Thanks. Dedicated RAM is good and drivers are up to date. No other obvious issues.

It is possible there is some other software causing the performance drops you are seeing.

Can I ask you to try a clean boot before starting the game and report back here please?

Clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

barry.png
Message 4 of 6 (11,629 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hello everyone, I would just like to add yet another thing to consider trying, especially if you have a dual core processor and the "set affinity" option doesn't really help much...

1. Start the game normally (let it load up all the way).
2. Alt-Tab your way back to the desktop.
3. Ctrl-Shift-Esc your way into Task Manager.
4. Click on the Details tab and locate NFS11.EXE in the list.
5. Right click it, then hover over Set Priority and choose Realtime or High.
6. Click "Change Priority" on the window that pops up.

Now Alt-Tab back into the game and try it. For me, that alone made a world of difference, stuttering pretty much entirely gone.

If you want to go all out, before the Set Priority procedure, perform a Set Affinity, disable CPU 0, click OK, then do it again and turn all CPUs back on, click OK again.

Worked great for me in this game and NFS Most Wanted 2012. I hope it helps someone else, too!

Message 5 of 6 (6,674 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Try running game booster. It really helps. I think it could be a pop-up trying to display itself. I've had the same problem. Oh, btw... I have every nfs ever made, including the elusive nfs Ferrari unleashed.

Message 6 of 6 (6,302 Views)