Re: I HAVE 2 SERIOUS PROBLEMS w/ NHL 14

by blazingcronic

Original Post

I HAVE 2 SERIOUS PROBLEMS w/ NHL 14

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

PROBLEM 1)  If I want to play on the same team with a friend, it's easy as long as we're on the same console.  You sign one player in as a guest and go to Online Versus Play. Done. Simple.

If I want to do the same exact thing, but we happen to be on different consoles, suddenly it becomes a major project! First, you have to go to Online Team Play (because why should doing the same thing be in the same place??); set up a game; invite your friend; make the party public; wait for opponents to join (that's IF you're lucky enough for someone to actually join...most people are, understandably, just playing Online Versus Play); then hope that the people who join are smart enough to actually play on the OTHER team (for some reason this is a major point of confusion for a lot of people). By the time all that's done (assuming it only takes one try - which is a major assumption) it takes 15 minutes just to start playing a game.  Factor in the fact that someone gets lagged out about 1/3 of the time, and it basically isn't even worth playing this game.  

Can anyone imagine if playing COD online was this difficult?? 

ALL I WANT TO DO IS PLAY WITH MY FRIEND ON THE SAME TEAM. You'd think that would be one of the most fundamental aspects of playing an online game.  GET ON IT EA.

Problem 2) Can someone PLEASE tone down the "compensation" in Online Versus Play?? It's so painfully obvious when the game decides it wants the other team to score.  Somehow all the A.I. players clear out of the middle on D. The controls are noticably unreactive.  What I call "puck magnet" (you know what I'm talking about) gets turned off. When chasing down an iced puck, somehow the guy on backcheck always edges out the guy on forecheck, regardless of where the two start relative to the puck. The goalie plays like a 'tard. It's like "Ohh, really?? The game is tied going into the last few minutes of play even though I have 200 SOG and they have 4 and I've spent 90% of the game on attack? I CAN'T BELIEVE IT."  I get it, EA - you factored "momentum" into the game. Great. Fine.  But for god's sake, tone it down! There's a reason OVP is RANKED. Let the skill of the players have something to do with it!!

This is obviously more of a rant than a question, but if you agree which what I've said please Like this post or Thumbs up or whatever you have to do to get SOMEBODY at EA to notice.  NHL '14 can be SO MUCH BETTER THAN IT IS. 

Message 1 of 12 (10,743 Views)

★★★ Newbie

YES! Finally, someone is calling attention to this. If I am going to spend any more money on this game franchise, I'd like an answer.

Someone from EA, any thoughts?

Thanks

Message 2 of 12 (10,684 Views)

★ Novice

hey,

what you can do is make a eashl club with your friend.

you can play with him at all times and you will find opponent every time.

Message 3 of 12 (10,653 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same exact problem. I was completely shocked by how difficult it is to get into a game with a friend on your team. When we do get a game in otp the puck is dropped, the game lags for a second and goes back to the opening faceoff. It does this a few times and if anyone is left in the game the connection is dropped. This is after the difficulties you described with just getting into a game. I know the connection error should point to internet issues but neither myself or my friend have any issues in ranked ovp or playing against each other.

Message 4 of 12 (10,540 Views)

★ Apprentice
Hey man I totally agree, for the most part... I don't understand why you find it strange that it's difficult to find a game. Not that I'm saying it's not. However OVP is usually a one on one type game. You find it strange that people don't want to play two on one??? Really? I think I know exactly why you have a hard time finding games. Essecially if your talking ranked.
Message 5 of 12 (10,517 Views)

★★★ Newbie

had the similar problem but i had gotten thorugh it how dfo i get these pucks>? 

@imjustwonderin wrote:

PROBLEM 1)  If I want to play on the same team with a friend, it's easy as long as we're on the same console.  You sign one player in as a guest and go to Online Versus Play. Done. Simple.

If I want to do the same exact thing, but we happen to be on different consoles, suddenly it becomes a major project! First, you have to go to Online Team Play (because why should doing the same thing be in the same place??); set up a game; invite your friend; make the party public; wait for opponents to join (that's IF you're lucky enough for someone to actually join...most people are, understandably, just playing Online Versus Play); then hope that the people who join are smart enough to actually play on the OTHER team (for some reason this is a major point of confusion for a lot of people). By the time all that's done (assuming it only takes one try - which is a major assumption) it takes 15 minutes just to start playing a game.  Factor in the fact that someone gets lagged out about 1/3 of the time, and it basically isn't even worth playing this game.  

Can anyone imagine if playing COD online was this difficult?? 

ALL I WANT TO DO IS PLAY WITH MY FRIEND ON THE SAME TEAM. You'd think that would be one of the most fundamental aspects of playing an online game.  GET ON IT EA.

Problem 2) Can someone PLEASE tone down the "compensation" in Online Versus Play?? It's so painfully obvious when the game decides it wants the other team to score.  Somehow all the A.I. players clear out of the middle on D. The controls are noticably unreactive.  What I call "puck magnet" (you know what I'm talking about) gets turned off. When chasing down an iced puck, somehow the guy on backcheck always edges out the guy on forecheck, regardless of where the two start relative to the puck. The goalie plays like a 'tard. It's like "Ohh, really?? The game is tied going into the last few minutes of play even though I have 200 SOG and they have 4 and I've spent 90% of the game on attack? I CAN'T BELIEVE IT."  I get it, EA - you factored "momentum" into the game. Great. Fine.  But for god's sake, tone it down! There's a reason OVP is RANKED. Let the skill of the players have something to do with it!!

This is obviously more of a rant than a question, but if you agree which what I've said please Like this post or Thumbs up or whatever you have to do to get SOMEBODY at EA to notice.  NHL '14 can be SO MUCH BETTER THAN IT IS. 

Message 6 of 12 (10,496 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I 100% agree with your second problem I have been ranked in the top 1000 in NHL for four years so I play a stupid amount of games and I know when this stupid momentum decides that the peice of garbage player I am playing is getting a free goal. I can't buy a goal with thirty shots a period and their goalie is winning the vesna with a one game performance and my goalie gives up a backhand goal from the blue line. I want online ranked to be about skill and not luck.

Might stop buying NHL games because this issue is so infuriating.
Message 7 of 12 (10,414 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I too LOATHE the "compensation" factor. Momentum is sort of intangible, and therefore should be part of the real life experience and not so much HARDWIRED INTO THE PHYSICS OF THE GAME. I can't get my head around how difficult the game gets for inexplicable reasons, sometimes it seems like my players simply forgot how to play hockey. They move at a fraction (albeit a larger fraction like 7/8) of their normal speed and behave like they never spent a day playing hockey at all. The responses go from crisp to delayed and sometimes downright unresponsive. I don't know how I'm supposed to improve my skills at the game when all the things I use to interact with the game are constantly in flux. It is so frustrating to be playing a game, just to be along for the ride, knowing you have little to no influence on the outcome. I have purchased every copy of NHL since NHL '06, and the momentum wasn't so much of a factor in the '08, and '09 installments, but in this game it's like a choking smog, ever present and all encompassing. I'm not sure if I'll be returning to the franchise next year unless I find clear written evidence that the "momentum" is toned down or downright removed. Everyone knows Crosby doesn't play 100% every game, but there's no reason a video game analogue of him should start playing like a video game analogue of Matt Cooke... Ever.

Message 8 of 12 (10,392 Views)

★★★ Newbie
It's about time someone addressed this rediculous issue. Me and my bro are always looking for a 2v2 game when were not on the same console, but tryin to get an unranked online team play game where a jackass doesn't pick goalie or switch between teams like a best buddy is harder than trying to nail jello to a tree. If any of you ever wanna 2v2 and you don't pick a position other than "any" please do message me - bcobb326
Message 9 of 12 (10,033 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I completely agree with you.  My eashl club consists of me and my friend of over 10 years, we know what the other guy will do and we work as a defensive tandom rocking bodies, blocking shots, 85%+ passing....and then the last 5 mins of the third and our AI forwards turn into clowns, they try passes through 3 opponents when they have 2 clear outlet passes and we lose.  Suddenly my guy with 90 passing throwing the puck out to where ever or split down the middle of 2 team mates....I have holes in my wall from the AI retatdedness.....or my personal favorite the dump and chase when there is open ice infront and rest of team standing there flat footed....hockey sense where does it go?

Message 10 of 12 (7,689 Views)