"You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it"

by WellmaxxBR

Original Post

Re: "You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it&qu

★★ Novice

For now I've moved on to Cities XL Platnium. It seems to be a really good game with the same/better game play and much bigger maps. You can also trade between your own cities even if and they are not in the same region. If EA and Maxis are going to ignore their buyers like this who the hell wants to be a customer. They sure won't get a good word from me.

Message 11 of 98 (3,013 Views)

Re: "You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it&qu

★★★★ Novice

Please eliminate this problem

Message 12 of 98 (2,989 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yep.  Very frustrating.  I would play this game a lot more if this bug were fixed.  This is why I quit buying PC games.  Bummer for EA.  I miss the days when I bought Deluxe Paint III for my Amiga 2000 from you guys.

Message 13 of 98 (2,986 Views)

Re: "You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it&am

★★★ Novice

Sorry, but there is no city I can't reclaim

When a city is created it list all DLC's of the creator in the city setup.

If you can't reclaim that city tou are missing one of the DLC's. It doesn't matter if the city has been payed or not

There are a number of DLC's, for some we had to pay (like the amusement park), others were given to all or at pre-ordering/packedge deals (like plumbop par or launch Arcology) or were available for a limited time period (Progressive insurance). Also there a a few promotinal DLC's like Crest, or Red Cross. These DLC's aren't available tot every one, it depends in what country you live or if you managed to score a coupon (Crest)

Beside those DLC's, there are 5 country dependend DLC's.

Media Markt: Germany
Telia: Sweden
Play: Poland
Metro: France
Micromania: France

These DLC's can only be obtained when you live in the country as specified, or you will to use a proxy.

(I don't know if they are still available)

In short, there are a lot more DLC's out there. If you can't reclaim a city, your are missing a DLC

Message 14 of 98 (2,968 Views)

Re: "You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it&am

★★★ Novice

Lovely.  I've purchased the following content in the hopes of being able to unlock ANY city:

Cities of Tomorrow

British Set Pack

German Set Pack

French Set Pack

Nissan LEAF pack (free...)

Deluxe Digital Upgrade Pack

Amusement Park Pack

Not a single pack has caused me to be able to unlock a single city...  Do I have to drop another $15 just to get a crack at another city.  This is extortion.  It would be really nice to get a more useful error, like "In order to unlock this city, please click here to purchase the following missing DLC."  It's frustrating to say... "Hmm...  Is this a bug or a feature?  Have another $5, EA.  Nope, it's still a bug.  Let's try it again.  Nope, it's still a bug."  My trust factor in EA is extremely low at this point.

Message 15 of 98 (2,957 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Anyone truly interested in seeking assistance from the community of players at Answer HQ should ignore this thread of ranting and raving, and state the problem they have had clearly in a fresh, peronal request for assistance. 

Answer HQ is not EA's complaints department.  To complain, the only contact point that EA offers is the Game Advisers on Help Center.   

https://help.ea.com/  

Message 16 of 98 (2,955 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Definitely.  EA's answer is this:

-----------

I understand your concern but I'd like to inform you that in order to claim the cities you would have to first purchase the Simcity cities of tomorrow DLC. It is an Expansion for the game that is to be purchases exclusively.

Once you have purchased the expansions pack you will be able to claim the cities and play the game. 

-----------

Again.  Trust factor = low.  Even if they were to tell me at this point to purchase more content, I would not believe them.  I'd just like to know someone who was able to claim a city and what DLC they had installed, beyond someone who says "I have all the content, including ones I had to bend ToS to download via a VPN that puts me in Poland" which is clearly beyond the pale of most users and can't be the way the game was intended to be played.  I'm also running on OS X, so it wouldn't shock me if this were a Mac only problem.

Message 17 of 98 (2,947 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

I have cities of tomorrow and I cannot claim most cities and I tried dozens of regions on different servers (NA and EU).

(meaning I can claim a minority of them)

In fact I have more reclaimed cities than ones made from scratch. (which means I went through a lot of them to be able to get some)

running under bootcamp win7

Message 18 of 98 (2,926 Views)

★★★ Novice

You can or can not?  Confused by your post.  It sounded like you could not reclaim anything, but then you said you had more reclaimed cities than fresh ones.

Message 19 of 98 (2,922 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just bought this today and I thought that I bought the complete package, precisely to avoid this problem after seeing something similar mentioned on another site. But now I find out this "you don't own" nonsense can kick in due to items with limited/regional availability? What kind of horsesh*t is that?!?!? 

And yes, I will go rant in the correct forum, help.ea.com, but this is just a warmup! Standard smile

Message 20 of 98 (2,873 Views)