How to install SimCity from the disc / disk (DVD) instead of downloading?

by Monkey-D-Man

Original Post

How to install SimCity from the disc / disk (DVD) instead of downloading?

★★★ Newbie

I know that you can install origin and then download simcity, but that takes forever.

I have the disk I know it has the game on it (because of the size of the zipped file is 1.8gb), when I play autorun it just runs origin instead of installing the game. When I explored the DVD I could see there was a installer folder in the zip file, but there isn't an obvious way to run the install without manually doing it and I don't want to mess with it.

Can I not just install it from the DVD?

Thanks

Message 1 of 15 (23,768 Views)

Re: How to install SimCity from the disc / disk (DVD) instead of downloading?

★★ Guide

Completely cancel the active download.

Then run the Origin Autorun from the Disk and It'll start installing in origin from the disk.

Message 2 of 15 (23,571 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Put in DVD, let it autorun. Login to Origin, game will install...then game will download patch(s) ... that's how I did it.....

Message 3 of 15 (23,569 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It says it's installed according to origin, but the file it downloaded to do it was only roughly 250MB, so I can't imagine that is the whole game.

Now it's doing the "processing large file" if that is just updates that are only accessible online, then I guess I have no choice. Just thought it might be on the DVD already.

Message 4 of 15 (23,566 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Game is already on patch 1.4, so unfortunately there will be some large files to download and process if you are starting from a disc install.

Message 5 of 15 (23,552 Views)

★★★ Newbie

No, the installer simply sets up origin. There is no disk activity past the origin installer.

- Locate the game files on your system (by default they will be in c:\program files\Origin Games\SimCity or "c:\program files(x86)\Origin Games\SimCity" for 64bit). You can also look in the Origin HQ > Origin menu > Application settings ..

- Copy the contents of the zip file into there.

There are some locality DLLs in the root of the zip that don't need to be copied apart from the one for your language. Most likely it will have already picked up and installed the right one anyway from the registration in Origin.

Enjoy  ~1.5Gb saved from your download limit and the time taken to download that much (~1 hours for me).

Patching up to the full game looked to be about ~150mb as of today (18th March).

Message 6 of 15 (23,531 Views)

★★★ Newbie

AutoRun doesnt appear when i put it in the disc drive 

Message 7 of 15 (20,642 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi fello gamers I took your advice and copied zipped files to where you said and extracted them there, how do I now play it? There seems to be no exe file to press or anything... I am not comp savvy as you can tell but have no internet useage really so need from disk also how do you get the extra updates in there like all the patch files? cheers

Message 8 of 15 (18,086 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@cg015 

1. Start your own thread.. lol. This one is ancient.

2. Tell us what stage of the install you are on. Have you installed before or just trying to install from disc the first time?

3. In the least, you'll need an internet connection to download the patches.

There are currently 10 of them, which include the expansion, all of the DLC and online/offline play.

Message 9 of 15 (18,076 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That's insane you should just by the game online through origin then why even sell a hard copy in stores wow!!!!

Message 10 of 15 (13,282 Views)