Re: How do I disable the Cities of Tomorrow Expansion for SimCity?

by Robproc

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How do I disable the Cities of Tomorrow Expansion for SimCity?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I just purchased the SimCity Plus pack because of the recent sale and am just getting started. The thing is I'm already seeing my residents popping up in futuristic homes with laser fences and the like, without even asking me if I wanted to utilize any future technology. Is there any way to disable, at least temporarily, the expansion? I figured I'd get both because it was a good deal but I want to get started with just the basic game.

Message 1 of 18 (31,520 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

Short answer, no. Long answer, you can just not build any of the new xpac buildings. The way the futuristic stuff works is that when you build something from Cities of Tomorrow it creates a radius around that building which turns all RCI into futuristic buildings too. So, if you just refrain from building stuff form CoT you will be fine, however its not so clear for new players which items are from the xpac and which are not. To be fair, there isn't much from the xpac.

View in thread

Message 2 of 18 (31,395 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

Short answer, no. Long answer, you can just not build any of the new xpac buildings. The way the futuristic stuff works is that when you build something from Cities of Tomorrow it creates a radius around that building which turns all RCI into futuristic buildings too. So, if you just refrain from building stuff form CoT you will be fine, however its not so clear for new players which items are from the xpac and which are not. To be fair, there isn't much from the xpac.

Message 2 of 18 (31,396 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Would be a lovely option to have. Coming into this game, I can see its numerous flaws... but meh, I have nothing better to do. Knowing EA is the big name here, I'd never expect to see anything meaningful. Cities of Tomorrow is one of those gamebreaking expansions though it seems... making almost everything in the original game obsolete with just nearly a few buildings. When it comes to playing by yourself, yeah... choose not to build them. But when it comes to online play... kind of annoying seeing giant towers everywhere and omega trucks showing up to your door 20 minutes in because a player decided he really wanted to do Omega but ends up bankrupting himself and leaving the game making your town implode on itself... -.-

When did Maxis become a team of amateurs? Seems silly so many basic features went on completely disregarded, but oh well. A better question is, is there any communities or anyone interested enough in this game to organize team plays following certain rules: Turtle Speed only, no Cities of Tomorrow, etc

Message 3 of 18 (31,268 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I am pretty sure that before you mouse over a cities of tomorrow building, it has little blue hexagons below it, indicating it is from the expansion pack. It is also easy to distinguish them by their name. It sounds very futuristic.
Message 4 of 18 (30,314 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yeah, I bought this game for a contemporary city builder, not futuristic space stupidity.

I'm pretty annoyed that this feature can't be disabled, because it just makes this game's multiplayer experience something I'm not even remotely interested in playing.

Message 5 of 18 (29,057 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I found how to disable-delete Cities of Tomorrow Expansion!!!!!!!

Go to simcity folder then go to SimCityUsersdata.When you go to SimCityUsersdata go to ecogame then delete the files simcityDLCAirships etc...

After that go to Simcitydata and delete the Simcity_DLC0.package.And finally search for DLC at the simcity folder and you will find the DLC.1911.Delete it and done Standard smile

Message 6 of 18 (31,284 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I can't find the DLC! (using macbook air)

Message 7 of 18 (27,630 Views)

★★★ Newbie

click ctrl and left click on simcity starter than show under laying maps. maybe not the same but i translate it from dutch XD and there you can find everything.

Message 8 of 18 (27,036 Views)

★★★ Newbie

what folder do i find the last thing (DLC.1911)

Message 9 of 18 (27,030 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hopefully, some of you will find this to be helpful: 

Contact EA support and ask them to temporarily disable Cities of Tomorrow. I'm not sure how long it will be disabled, but it does work. CoT basically made my game unplayable because it taxed my resources to the max (mid-range MacBook) and it made it very unenjoyable. Hope this helps!

Message 10 of 18 (26,722 Views)