Re: Google Chromebook

by Gorath_the_Elder

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Google Chromebook

★★ Newbie

What do I need to download to get origin to download and then get simcity downloaded?

Message 1 of 16 (15,677 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Guide

Firstly.  SimCity needs a native Windows install or soon to be, Mac OSX.  Chrome OS is neither as it's linux based.  In fact its so heavily modified, it's barely "linux" in it's fullest sense.  I'm guessing you'll have little to no onboard storage (some chromebooks ship with more than others, depending on the manufacturer), and your spec will be too low to run the game even if you were able to get Wine running.

Personally I think it is a lost cause.

View in thread

Message 3 of 16 (16,357 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide

A computer with an full-fledged operating system, for one thing.

Message 2 of 16 (15,555 Views)

★★★ Guide

Firstly.  SimCity needs a native Windows install or soon to be, Mac OSX.  Chrome OS is neither as it's linux based.  In fact its so heavily modified, it's barely "linux" in it's fullest sense.  I'm guessing you'll have little to no onboard storage (some chromebooks ship with more than others, depending on the manufacturer), and your spec will be too low to run the game even if you were able to get Wine running.

Personally I think it is a lost cause.

Message 3 of 16 (16,358 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@kamudam77 wrote:

What do I need to download to get origin to download and then get simcity downloaded?

Hi kamudam77,

As already pointed out, the Google Chromebooks currently do not support Origin. They come with Google Chrome OS, which is a Linux based operating system. However, Origin is currently only available for Windows and the Mac operating system.

The Windows version (for PC) of SimCity has been released, the Mac version will follow on June 11.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 4 of 16 (15,546 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I paid $75 dollars for the sims 4 and all the expansion packs and I can't play it now because my laptop won't let me download it because my laptop tells me I need a windows product
Message 5 of 16 (10,552 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Chromebook is not compatible with Windows.  Simcity requires Windows, making Chromebook incompatible with Simcity.

Simcity 2013 Requirements

Operating Systems:
SimCity will run on Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.
CPU:
Intel C2D E4400, 2 GHz, or AMD X2 4000
Video Card:
Geforce 7800 GT or Radeon HD 2600 XT with 512 MB VRAM
***NOTE: each of the above-mentioned must also have Shader 3.0 or better support, and it is essential to the game’s performance and stability that the latest possible drivers for your video card are installed at all times (see my note#).
2 GBs RAM
Direct3D Dx9
Needed space on HDD 10 GB
Optical Drive:
DVD-ROM drive required.

Internet Connection:
Players will need an Internet connection of at least 256 kbps download and 64kbps upload or faster.

Here's that Note# :

The equivalent to those ancient minimums they named for playable results today: Geforce GT 640 and Radeon HD 6570 (desktop GPUs). Laptops are downgraded 20-30% from the average performance of the same-name desktop GPUs.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/best-chromebook-games

Message 6 of 16 (10,545 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@alliarnold10 

Your message was answered.  Refunds are issued c/o Help Center, not Answer HQ

Message 7 of 16 (10,526 Views)

★★★ Newbie

How

Message 8 of 16 (9,867 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@sjboushey103

What's your question or issue exactly? Help us help you! Standard smile

If this message helped you, please give it a bit of XP! Click the XP button at the bottom right of this post.
If it answered your question, click "Accept as solution". Thanks!
Message 9 of 16 (9,857 Views)

★ Novice

im having the same problem now... did you figure out what to do?

Message 10 of 16 (8,057 Views)