Re: mass effect 3 direct x install error

by ChiefBerry

Original Post

Accepted Solution

mass effect 3 direct x install error

★★ Novice

Windows 8.1 64-bit windows install, trying to get Mass Effect 3 installed, but i keep getting the Direct X error when attempting to install the game. I have already gone to the F:\Origin\Mass Effect 3\__Installer\directx\redist and removed all of the cabinet files (or the *.cab files) but i still get the error when trying to install. I am running origin as admin, but it is still failing. Not sure where to go to make it install the correct direct x version, or what the next step would be. I have been searching online for a little bit now, but other than removing said files, i haven't seen any other solutions

Message 1 of 12 (6,319 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@JoylessFire

First try to install the "DXSETUP.exe" in the "F:\Origin\Mass Effect 3\__Installer\directx\redist" folder (Run the installer as Admin) > restart the Computer > test.

If that don't helps, download the "DirectX-enduser-Runtimes Web Installer" from here (Run the installer as Admin) > restart the Computer > test.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 2 of 12 (6,265 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@JoylessFire

First try to install the "DXSETUP.exe" in the "F:\Origin\Mass Effect 3\__Installer\directx\redist" folder (Run the installer as Admin) > restart the Computer > test.

If that don't helps, download the "DirectX-enduser-Runtimes Web Installer" from here (Run the installer as Admin) > restart the Computer > test.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 12 (6,266 Views)

★ Novice

I have this same problem. Tried reinstalling Origin, redownloaded Mass Effect 3 a few times. Tried to manually install the version of DirectX that comes with Mass Effect 3, then I tried to remove all the cab files and still get that error.
Error: A redistributable package (DirectX) was not installed successfully. Setup cannot continue. (false)
I have installed Battlefield 1, 3  and, 4. Battlefront, and Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age Inquisition.

Just cannot figure out what is wrong with Mass Effect 3 that it won't install.

Thanks for reading.

Windows 10 Pro
Sabertooth R2 990fx 
AMD 9590 FX 5 Ghz
Sapphire RX Nitro+ 480 8GB

32 GB RAM

Message 3 of 12 (6,226 Views)

@EremiticWolf

Did you tried it this way?

Go to your ">drive<:\Origin\Mass Effect 3\__Installer\directx\redist" folder.

- delete all files with a *.cab file extension.

- run the "DXSETUP.exe" in that folder as Administrator. (right click the "DXSETUP.exe" > run as administrator.)

- reboot

- test.

Message 4 of 12 (6,222 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yep already tried that as well. I even put everything into Windows 7 compatibility mode and that didn't even work.
The DirectX installed but when I tried to install ME3 I would get the same DirectX error as before.
It's too bad that the installer isn't setup to allow us not to install DirectX. 

--Jim

Message 5 of 12 (6,217 Views)

@EremiticWolf

Ok, try this version.  (Reboot after installation!)

If that don't helps run the Windows System File Checker Sfc /scannnow and post the concluding message.

Furthermore, create a DxDiag in text file format. Also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER and look if it has ME3 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up together with the DxDiag. You can do that with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

Message 6 of 12 (6,211 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for the files but, I won't install those on my Windows 10 system. They are for Windows 7.
The sfc scan shows no problems and no problems show up in the performance monitor.
Just funny how I can install the older versions of Mass Effect  and they installed fine. 

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

--Jim

Message 7 of 12 (6,203 Views)

★ Novice

I had the same problem in this and some other reinstallas.   This worked for installs under Window 10.  GOTO 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\__Installer\directx\redist

Delete all those compressed files from downloading directx.  Leave only the DSSETUP and .dll files.   All those extra (WINRAR in my case)  compressed files caused the install to always pick the wrong version and then crash on installing.   So, gotta get rid of them.

Once they are gone, do your install.

Message 8 of 12 (5,943 Views)

★★★ Newbie
It worked for me, thank you very much!
Message 9 of 12 (4,676 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks

Message 10 of 12 (3,947 Views)