[X360 / PS3] Online Pass FAQ

by EA_Spectre

Original Post

[X360 / PS3] Online Pass FAQ

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

What was the EA Online Pass?
Online Pass was a unique, one-time-use code included with new EA games that allowed EA players to access online features.  If the game was not purchased new, the online pass code might have been used already and the player would need to purchase a new Online Pass.

Do I still need an Online Pass to play multiplayer games online?
For new EA titles, Online Pass will no longer be needed or included.  Additionally, we are in the process of eliminating Online Pass requirements from existing EA games. This process will take several weeks. For some games, the prompt to enter an Online Pass code will no longer appear; for others, you will still need to download and install an Online Pass, but they will be available free of charge from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace or PlayStation Store.

When will specific games have their Online Pass turned off?
The latest releases of EA SPORTS games are the first. Over the next several weeks, Online Pass will either be removed completely, or will be available for free in the PlayStation Store and Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Please note that our advisors will not be able to provide you an Online Pass code before that game's pass requirements are disabled.  We appreciate your patience. 

Why did we decide to do this?
We listened to the feedback from players, and decided to do away with Online Pass. We hope that eliminating Online Pass will allow more people to play and enjoy EA games for a long time to come.

Source: https://help.ea.com/article/online-pass-has-been-discontinued

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 1 of 36 (13,458 Views)

Re: Online Pass FAQ (for anyone, including PC Game Players)

★★★★★ Expert

This thread is incomplete as long as the software is screwed up enough to choke fairly often and demand an Online Pass from anyone using a PC.  The title should be changed and the answer that applies should be added for PC users,

Gorath

Message 2 of 36 (11,988 Views)

Re: [X360 / PS3] Online Pass FAQ

★★★ Newbie

This does not resolve the issue.  I followed all the instructions and when I rebooted the Xbox, there was no prompt for me to redownload a code.

Message 3 of 36 (11,954 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I bought the Mass Effect Trilogy from a legit store and when I entered the Online Pass on PSN it told me that the code was 'Invalid or already used'. Why and how do I fix it? 

Message 4 of 36 (11,529 Views)

★★★ Newbie

got mass effect and entered the code for the online pass but got a screen saying the code is invaled need help

Message 5 of 36 (11,410 Views)

★★ Guide

@OtakunSenju wrote:

got mass effect and entered the code for the online pass but got a screen saying the code is invaled need help

Hi saltt72,

I am not clear on what platform you are playing but since you placed your question within this thread, I can safely deduce that your issue is with Xbox 360 or PS3.

Your request for help has been answered previously (within this same thread), but as it appears that the answer was given in 2012 to another gamer, and the issue  still remains unsolved--in your case--, below you will find a copy of that reply. 

Where can I get an Online Pass?
Online Pass redemption codes should come free with every new EA game and are generally redeemed through either the Playstation Network Store or the Xbox Live Marketplace.  If you do not have an Online Pass code, you can purchase one for $9.99 in the PSN Store or 800 Microsoft Points in the Xbox Live Marketplace.

Do two users in the same household-but with different user profiles on their console-need to purchase a second Online Pass for both users to be able to play?
Yes, Online Passes can only be used for one user profile. Additional Online Passes must be purchased for each additional user.

If I purchase my game used, will I need to purchase an Online Pass for online play?
Yes. Console versions of games will ship with a code you can redeem to participate in multiplayer modes. These codes may only be activated for one user. In the case of used games, the original owner will most likely have activated the original Online Pass, but new codes can be purchased in the PlayStation Store or Xbox Marketplace.

Why do I receive an error when attempting to redeem my Online Pass for my game on Xbox 360?
Our team is aware of a current issue some Xbox 360 users have experienced when redeeming their online pass code.  To successfully redeem your pass and access online play, please follow the steps below:

1. Enter the Online Pass Code (from the insert that came with the disc)
  2. You will see either one of these messages (Error verifying Online Pass OR Code entered has already been used). When you do, skip to step 3
  3. Reboot console without signing out of Xbox Live
  4. Launch your game and follow the on-screen prompts. You should be ushered into the Online Pass re-download process.
  5. Download the Online Pass and continue on to starting the game. Online features should be available to you now.
  6. If you still have an issue with your Online Pass, please get in contact with an EA Game Advisor. You need to log in with your Origin account and then choose "Product", "Category", and "Platform" to see the contact options
Message 6 of 36 (11,393 Views)

Community Manager

Perhaps you have already read it on a news site: The Online Pass has been discontinued and we are in the process of removing it for all our existing games. Confusedmileyhappy:

I updated the FAQ in the first post to match the new policy.

spectre.png
Message 7 of 36 (11,289 Views)

Hero

I have noticed that DLC in BioWare games that was released to encourage game registration (Cerberus Network, Stone Prisoner, Black Emporium) is now also free on PC and Xbox 360. Is there any information available about why this isn't the case on PS3? I'm asking for a few people on the BioWare forums who are confused about this.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 8 of 36 (11,272 Views)

★★ Guide

@eaursula wrote:

Perhaps you have already read it on a news site: The Online Pass has been discontinued and we are in the process of removing it for all our existing games. Confusedmileyhappy:

I updated the FAQ in the first post to match the new policy.

Thanks eaursula.....definite great news. :catvery-happy:

Message 9 of 36 (11,262 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@fredvdp wrote:

I have noticed that DLC in BioWare games that was released to encourage game registration (Cerberus Network, Stone Prisoner, Black Emporium) is now also free on PC and Xbox 360. Is there any information available about why this isn't the case on PS3? I'm asking for a few people on the BioWare forums who are confused about this.

It should be the same for all three platforms. We deactivated the Online Pass on our own platform, Xbox was updated pretty soon after that, and the PSN will follow soon too.

spectre.png
Message 10 of 36 (11,242 Views)