Unable to buy any DLC (error 404)

by Nayra_Evhren

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unable to buy any DLC (error 404)

★★★★★ Novice

Hello,

I'm having an overly frustrating problem and cannot seem to find a solution: I've been playing the mass effect series recently, and when I read about the Citadel DLC, I decided it would be a fine addition.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to purchase it in any fashion: whenever I try to "buy it now", I always get "error 404: sorry, it didn't go as planned and we couldn't find what you were looking for" popup.

I already got other "free" DLCs for other games in the series; I also bought DLCs for Dragon Age in the past, so I already used origin to buy things and didn't have a problem.

Recently though, no matter what I do, I get the error 404 popup; this has happened for other origin games I own as well, whenever I try to get dlcs or even free things.

I also tried to buy it from the bioware social page, like someone suggested in other topics, but it didn't go well; whenever I try to buy the dlc, I choose PC currency, then I get an error "Origin couldn't authenticate EA account, try again later" but it never works.

Is there any solution to this, that doesn't require me to uninstall origin? I read the process of reinstalling games and saves can be pretty complicated, and since I'm in the middle of a trilogy playthrough, I don't really wanna risk loosing everything.

Also, on a side note: I've been reading a lot of forums and been watching lots of videos, hoping to find a solution, and I noticed some people actually get the "choose a language" popup when they install a game... this doesn't happen for me, I actually had to switch my client language so it would install games in english... any idea why?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answer.

Message 1 of 15 (4,470 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to buy any DLC (error 404)

★★★★★ Novice

Thank you for all the tips and trying to help; reinstalling it for the third time did the trick (without deleting cache or anything)... apparently the problem was not on my end.

Cheers Standard smile

View in thread

Message 6 of 15 (4,934 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@Nayra_Evhren

First, reinstalling Origin doesn't require the re-installation of games. You can reinstall Origin at any time without risking your progress. 

But this sounds like a connection problem. 

Restart your router.

If that not helps, shut down your Windows firewall and disable the real-time scanner of your antivirus software. (just for testing purpose, don't forget to activate the firewall and the antivirus software later on.)

Should it work after you disabled the firewall, here is a description how to allow a program to communicate through the firewall

If that not helps here is a EA connection troubleshooting guide.

If all this fails, please report back.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 15 (4,446 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

It's not possible that it's a connection problem, for the simple reason that I got DLCs couple months ago, and my configuration hasn't changed one bit since then; I have exactly the same programs running as before, and it used to work, now it just doesn't, so I'm guessing the problem comes from origin itself.

What baffles me, it's that even the bioware social site doesn't seem to work anymore; I will try to reinstall and see what happens, thanks anyways.

Message 3 of 15 (4,435 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

So I uninstalled and reinstalled origin, and it got even worse; for whatever reason, I can't even log in origin now, because it doesn't recognize the system being online, and even trying to log in offline mode doesn't work, it just keeps prompting me to insert user and password again and again.

Everything, and I mean literally everything, from my email program to my browser and other games all work perfectly fine; I tried disabling antivirus and firewall, putting it in exclusions, anything... nothing, it just doesn't work anymore.

What's worse is that now I can't even play games anymore, because origin not connecting is literally keeping them hostage; I can't play games I own because origin is telling me I can't, this is getting ridiculous.

Please, if anyone knows of this problem, a hand would be welcome; any useful advice is really appreciated.

Message 4 of 15 (4,428 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Nayra_Evhren

Are you at your home network or a public/university network?

What Origin version are you running? (In Origin > Help > info)

Please create a DxDiag in Text file format, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER and look if it has Origin entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up together with the DxDiag. You can do that with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

This are the ports Origin needs to be open at the router to communicate.

• TCP: 80; 443; 9960-9969; 1024-1124; 3216; 18000; 18120; 18060; 27900; 28910; 29900
UDP: 1024-1124; 18000; 29900

Furthermore, please try clearing your Origin cache:

All settings in Origin (only in Origin not in the games) are back to default settings after this.)

- close Origin completely. (right click on the Origin symbol in the task bar > close)
    - Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
    - Type or copy  "%ProgramData%/Origin" (without quotes) > hit ENTER
    - Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for the "LocalContent" folder. (The "LocalContent" folder must remain untouched.)
    - Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
    - Type or copy "%AppData%" (without quotes)  > hit ENTER
    - Now your Windows explorer should have brought you to your "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Roaming" folder
    - Delate the "Origin"  folder inside the "Roaming" folder
    - In the address bar of your Windows explorer click on the word "AppData".
    - Open the "Local" folder
    - Delate the "Origin"  folder inside the  "Local" folder
    - Restart your PC. > test

If that don't helps, please uninstall Origin following this guide by the letter. (The registry keys are important) > reboot > install Origin again.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 5 of 15 (4,413 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thank you for all the tips and trying to help; reinstalling it for the third time did the trick (without deleting cache or anything)... apparently the problem was not on my end.

Cheers Standard smile

Message 6 of 15 (4,935 Views)

★★ Novice

Im having the same problem

2 years ago i contacted origin cause it was impossible to buy a dlc by their plataform and they said it was a problem at the time 

i bought it by buying BioWare points at the site and than buying the dlcs

but even that is not available anymore

it doesnt make sense

Message 7 of 15 (4,312 Views)

★★ Novice

Happy New year by the way

Message 8 of 15 (4,310 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Ya same thing. Just bought the code from Amazon for Citadel and I can't download it on the bioware social page. Any ideas?

Oh and happy new year

Message 9 of 15 (4,295 Views)

[ Edited ]

@MajorPanzerJager

You must redeem the code on the BSN site and then download the DLC inside Origin. (That means you must be logged on to both the BSN site and Origin with the same credentials.) 

You can find the DLC in the Origin Game Library  > click on "Mass Effect  3" > extra content.

@chuwader

So you have the same 404 error as described in this thread?

Message 10 of 15 (4,283 Views)