Re: PC version: Game crash after "checking downloadable content"?

by lyq3r

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

Thank you for posting this work around Kaos.  I figured out that after you are able to access multiplayer with your login, disconnect, reconnect method, that if you reverse the process on exiting the game by disconnecting your router before it checks the DLC on the main login screen, that you can clear this bug.  Upon exiting, if you don't disconnect, when the game checks the DLC, it causes ME3 to crash.  By disconnecting before the DLC check you get the error about EA server connection lost, etc.  Just reconnect and attempt to connect to the EA servers.  When you do, you will be able to exit the game properly so that the next log in, you don't have to go through all this computer voodoo nonsense.  I wish EA would fix this bug, but I am sure people in Hell want ice cream, too.

Message 31 of 38 (3,102 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

This is happening to me also. I have resorted to starting ME3 with Origin offline, and then go online once it failed to connect to get into multiplayer.

My game will hang or crash once I exit multiplayer, as it checks the DLC again when I enter the menu.

I have been running fine for a long time on this system, and there is no more ME3 development so I have no idea why I am getting hit now.

I take it back, now it says I am unauthorised for DLC. I never have this problem with Steam...

Message 32 of 38 (1,207 Views)

★★★★ Novice
This wonderful problem just started happening to me. I see that this thread suggests a solution. Looks a bit like voodoo but ill give it a try.
Message 33 of 38 (1,116 Views)

★★★ Novice

This reverse voodoo does not work to clear the bug.

BioWare/EA, I know you don't support ME3 anymore, but seriously, Origin is supposed to be your big service. So why the kriff aren't you fixing it?!

Message 34 of 38 (1,059 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Here is the "fix" I've come up with for the DLC crash issue.  If you try starting directly in offline mode, I believe you with have issues with the DLC authetication and won't have access to all the content.  This list below gets around this issue.  Hope it helps some else, as it looks like people are still having this problem and new people are still getting it.

He is the work around I have come up with.  It really helps to have dual screens and to run ME3 in windowed mode.

1) Open Origin on second screen

2)  Start ME3 on main screen

3)  Click the "Press any key to start" message in ME3

4)  As soon as you connect to the EA servers and the system maps pops up on the right hand side...

5)  Click on Origin to make it the active window, and select "Go offline" in the File menu in Origin.

6)  Click back on ME3 to make it the active window and click the OK message that Origin went off line.

7)  Click back on Origin and go back online (click on Go Online item in upper left side of Origin window).

8)  Quickly click back to ME3 to make it the active window and click the red "Connect to EA server" button

9)  As soon as you reconnect to the servers, start clicking on the Multiplayer menu item (you have to catch it between DLC authetication checks).

10)  If you wait too long ME3 will probably crash and you will need to try again.

11)  If you care, to quit MP correctly you will have to repeat these same steps when clicking "OK" for leaving the multiplayer mode.  It probably isn't necessary as credits/experience are already stored on the server but I like to do it just to be sure.

If you haven't yet set up ME3 in windowed mode, you will need to alt-tab between programs.  This is even more tricky as alt-tab is quite a bit slower switching between programs than is clicking between active windows.  If you do get it, change it to windowed mode in the graphics options menu.  Timing is a real issue with this "fix", take too long to reconnect to the server and the DLC will not autheticate.  Take to long to get into MP and the DLC bug will crash your program again.

Hope this helps someone as it took a lot of trial and error to get the timing down.

I wonder how many ME3 MP players we have lost (stopped playing) due to the ongoing, unresolved issue....

Message 35 of 38 (1,014 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Zerfidius wrote:
This wonderful problem just started happening to me. I see that this thread suggests a solution. Looks a bit like voodoo but ill give it a try.

The offline/online work around was successful for me when this problem first started happening.

Then Origin updated again about a week later and the problem went way.

Then Origin update again yesterday and the problem has returned.  Luckily the work around is again successful for me, but it seems like a pretty ghetto solution.

Message 36 of 38 (982 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah, I manage to get this ghetto solution to get me into the game and out again without crashing; fortunately my computer can alt-tab relatively quickly most of the time. That said...this is your fault, publishers, as it is a direct result of improper coding in Origin. It needs fixing whether you "officially" support Mass Effect 3 or not. If someone had enough time (and money) on their hands (and were angry enough), they could concievably sue you over this.

My guess is that they would most likely have a good case.

Message 37 of 38 (809 Views)

★★★ Novice

It helped me with BEX Error causing game crash during its start. Now I'm also able to join friends' lobbies, which was an issue when I managed to make mp work on my own long ago. Thanks!

Message 38 of 38 (520 Views)