Mass Effect 3 will not start.

by ZehroFresher

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 3 will not start.

★★★ Novice

I have recently bought Mass Effect 3 (August 21, 2013) due to the 70% sale promotion. I have installed the game, downloaded the content I recieve and started the game. However upon launching, the taskbar shows the ME3 Icon, the screen blacks out for a moment (guessing the game is attempting to go into fullscreen), and then reverts to my desktop. I hear music for the first 3 seconds and then nothing else. When I try to click on the icon, the screen blacks for a second and reverts back. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling just the base game (around the forums, the Retaliation DLC have been causing problems for some people). But it still won't launch. I have also tried restarting the computer, started Origin offline, disable Origin In-Game for ME3, and whatnot. But still no luck.

I know my graphics are enough to handle it. I can run Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite on the highest settings. Other EA Games (Sims 3) are still working. But I can't reach a solution.

Message 1 of 9 (26,471 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 3 will not start.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

For people quick searching or tired after hours of filtering forums (I know your pain), just go to your Mass Effect Config Tool (Program Files (x86)>Origin Games>Mass Effect 3>Binaries or where ever your Mass Effect core files are located) and change in the Video tab, Windowed option from Default to Windowed.

You would think that default would equate to windowed since the option is the Windowed label and an alternative choice is Fullscreen, but apparently not. For more details of how I got the solution, you can read further if you want to.

Well, using my awesome programming knowledge, I fixed it. For any users also consistently having this problem and have tried all other solutions offered as follows:

• Restarting the computer
  • Uninstalling/Reinstalling
  • Deleting the Retaliation DLC
  • Updating drivers
  • Restart Origin
  • Starting the game Offline/disabling Origin In-Game
  • Manually changing game files
  • Individually downloading Directx, NVIDIA, etc.
  • Contacting EA Support as a last resort

(YOU CAN ALSO USE THESE SOLUTIONS IF YOU HAVE NOT TRIED THEM (though the last one has ridiculously long wait time and the likely chance of an unhelpful, automated response). WORKS FOR SOME PEOPLE. NOT ME THOUGH HA.)

I suggest you use the Mass Effect Configuration Tool. If this solution does not work either, then you can at least post the details in the Systems Tab to give details about your computer and other miscellaneous information. It can be recorded under the File tab > Save Report.

But what I did was realize that my issue was arising from launching the game, watching my screen go black (indicating going into fullscreen), and going to the desktop. Every (frustrated) attempt I tried to click on the ME3 icon desperately, hoping it would work by some miracle, I still heard sound which was coming from the EA Intro Cinematic. It hit me that my game isn't broken, my computer isn't broken, but I have no way of configuring the game. BUT I DID. The ME3 Config Tool did help me locate my problem. I tried going to the Video subtab and found an error when I tried to reconfigure the game. I went into the game folders and found where to locate the screen resolution, windows/fullscreen options and did some scripting magic. (I would not recommend this for those inexperienced. You may break the game to a point where you can't fix it nor uninstall it... *experience*). Then my ME3 Config Tool also started working and all was well in terms of the start up. Hopefully there won't be more issues...

View in thread

Message 4 of 9 (28,222 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Newbie
Hey zehrofresher

I sometimes have the same issue with certain games. I'd suggest looking it up on google. I bought GTA IV from steam once and it requires games for windows live and it won't launch without it!
Message 2 of 9 (26,425 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have looked through google, through BioWare and EA forums, through here, through a lot of things. Many suggest things like reinstalling, updating, and whatnot but I have already done all that. GTA is a completely different franchise and have their own issues. I have the Batman Arkham games and I have encountered Windows issues, yes. But I have not solved them through manually searching every damn (pardon my language) nook and cranny of the Interwebs and none of them helped. What I did was, using an error message, I redirected files and edited some lines as I know a bit of programming myself to fix it.

But in THIS case, it won't help as I have NO error message. And the forums have their own compatability issues and etc. I have not even played this game. I run NVIDIA Physics fine (in my perspective). I played ME1 and ME2 (purchased from Steam) and they were fine. The only issue I've had is with this Origin client.

When I first got Sims 3, I had issues but I eventually resolved it after hours of searching on forums. This particular ME3 issue has a variety of problems of which do not relate to my particular issue. There have been a few encounters where people also start the game and it merely leaves them at their desktop. But I also want to point out that they also have posts that are unresolved. Which is begging to my mind if I need to get a refund as I cannot even simply view the EA logo when it starts up, much less even getting a glimpse of the main menu.

Please provide a solution, not a suggestion. I have stated that I have searched. And it has been hours. I went as far as a couple of month-old posts. I really enjoy the ME franchise. I've heard things like the ending is stupid so the game isn't worth but I still want to play.

I realize some people may be curious about some specs so I'll list them here.

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2 GB)

RAM: 8 GB (7.89 free)

Message 3 of 9 (26,421 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

For people quick searching or tired after hours of filtering forums (I know your pain), just go to your Mass Effect Config Tool (Program Files (x86)>Origin Games>Mass Effect 3>Binaries or where ever your Mass Effect core files are located) and change in the Video tab, Windowed option from Default to Windowed.

You would think that default would equate to windowed since the option is the Windowed label and an alternative choice is Fullscreen, but apparently not. For more details of how I got the solution, you can read further if you want to.

Well, using my awesome programming knowledge, I fixed it. For any users also consistently having this problem and have tried all other solutions offered as follows:

• Restarting the computer
  • Uninstalling/Reinstalling
  • Deleting the Retaliation DLC
  • Updating drivers
  • Restart Origin
  • Starting the game Offline/disabling Origin In-Game
  • Manually changing game files
  • Individually downloading Directx, NVIDIA, etc.
  • Contacting EA Support as a last resort

(YOU CAN ALSO USE THESE SOLUTIONS IF YOU HAVE NOT TRIED THEM (though the last one has ridiculously long wait time and the likely chance of an unhelpful, automated response). WORKS FOR SOME PEOPLE. NOT ME THOUGH HA.)

I suggest you use the Mass Effect Configuration Tool. If this solution does not work either, then you can at least post the details in the Systems Tab to give details about your computer and other miscellaneous information. It can be recorded under the File tab > Save Report.

But what I did was realize that my issue was arising from launching the game, watching my screen go black (indicating going into fullscreen), and going to the desktop. Every (frustrated) attempt I tried to click on the ME3 icon desperately, hoping it would work by some miracle, I still heard sound which was coming from the EA Intro Cinematic. It hit me that my game isn't broken, my computer isn't broken, but I have no way of configuring the game. BUT I DID. The ME3 Config Tool did help me locate my problem. I tried going to the Video subtab and found an error when I tried to reconfigure the game. I went into the game folders and found where to locate the screen resolution, windows/fullscreen options and did some scripting magic. (I would not recommend this for those inexperienced. You may break the game to a point where you can't fix it nor uninstall it... *experience*). Then my ME3 Config Tool also started working and all was well in terms of the start up. Hopefully there won't be more issues...

Message 4 of 9 (28,223 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
I was using GTA as an example. I have red faction guerrilla and Armageddon, guerrilla needs GFWL while armegeddon doesn't, but that isn't specified in the details.
Message 5 of 9 (26,405 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Oh and the end is the most thrown together thing I've seen yet!
Message 6 of 9 (26,404 Views)

★★ Novice

This sis not do anything for me =p

Message 7 of 9 (26,318 Views)

★★ Novice

This did not fix my not opeinging at all issue im running MSI board X6 AMD 8 Gigs DDR3 ram Nvidia 660 on windows 8.1

Message 8 of 9 (26,317 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Saying "this won't work" in a thread where the OP has already marked it as [SOLVED] means you're unlikely to get any help.

Time to start your own topic, (which I see you already have.)

Message 9 of 9 (26,315 Views)