Mass Effect 3 crashes on startup

by schwindy22

Original Post

Mass Effect 3 crashes on startup

★★★ Newbie

So I bought ME3 from Origin a couple days ago. I hadn't played it yet and went to play it. I launched it from Origin and it goes to a black screen as if the game is about to Task Manager, it says ME3 isn't running and there isn't even a process being run for the game. I've tried to reinstall and the same thing happens. This is extremely frustrating because I have bought the game and have not even gotten to play it.

My specs;

CPU: Intel Core i7-4700MQ

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 740M with 2GB DDR3

Mem: 8GB DDR3

Message 1 of 10 (1,991 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 3 crashes on startup

★★★ Newbie

Seriously EA? Can I atleast get a refund this is absolutely ridiculous

Message 2 of 10 (1,962 Views)

★★ Novice

I have teh digital deluxe version and when I launch the game from Origin, I get about 1-2 seconds of the opening video (EA video?) and then it crashes. Considering I paid money for this AND opted to get this instead of Dishonored, I would REALLY like to play MY game...

Message 3 of 10 (1,945 Views)

★★ Novice

@syngamer wrote:

I have teh digital deluxe version and when I launch the game from Origin, I get about 1-2 seconds of the opening video (EA video?) and then it crashes. Considering I paid money for this AND opted to get this instead of Dishonored, I would REALLY like to play MY game...

This is happening to me, too.  Although I just bought the normal version over-the-counter not long after launch, I decided to try playing it again recently and now it won't launch.  If I skip the EA video, I get about three seconds for the title screen or the "Connecting to EA Servers" bit after it before the game just falls over.

Message 4 of 10 (1,940 Views)

★★ Novice

Found a fix (for me at least!) It appears changing the masseffect3.exe compatibility to Windows XP SP3 resolves the issue and allows the game to load. I have Windows 8.1 (x64) but this should also work for people running Windows 7 as well. Hope this helps!

Go to the installation directory: "C:\ ......\Origin\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\"

Right-click on "MassEffect3.exe" and select "Properties"

Select the "Compatibility" tab and select "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"

Check "Run as Administrator" (near the bottom)

Click "Apply", then click "OK"

Launch the game and it should *finally* load

Message 5 of 10 (1,935 Views)

★★ Novice

@syngamer wrote:

Found a fix (for me at least!) It appears changing the masseffect3.exe compatibility to Windows XP SP3 resolves the issue and allows the game to load. I have Windows 8.1 (x64) but this should also work for people running Windows 7 as well. Hope this helps!

Go to the installation directory: "C:\ ......\Origin\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\"

Right-click on "MassEffect3.exe" and select "Properties"

Select the "Compatibility" tab and select "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"

Check "Run as Administrator" (near the bottom)

Click "Apply", then click "OK"

Launch the game and it should *finally* load

Tried this and no dice - just made it crash faster.

Message 6 of 10 (1,894 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay; problem solved - seems it was something to do with how the game interacts with Origin itself that was causing the problem.

On the Origin main window, go Origin -> Application Settings -> Origin In Game and untick "Enable Origin In Game".

You won't be able to use Origin's in-game overlay (or any Origin functions while in-game) but at least you'll be able to play.

Message 7 of 10 (1,886 Views)

★ Novice

I've got the same problem as well except no matter what I try it won't run.

Compatibilty mode, running it as an admin, disabling cloud saves, disabling origin in game, reinstalling both origin and ME3, nothing can get this game to launch and it's doing my head in.

I had it running on Windows 7 fine but now with Windows 8.1 it won't work at all, doesn't even appear as a process in the task manager.

Any other ideas anyone? It's driving me insane finally having a decent computer and not being able to run the one game I wanna play on it.

Message 8 of 10 (1,852 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm still suffering from this problem.

Every month or so I wonder if it might have fixed itself or maybe I'll find a new fix online that helps, but no.
I've been unable to play this game since October 2013.  Kinda sucks.

Message 9 of 10 (1,696 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Delete Bioware folder  from folder "My documents"

=)

Message 10 of 10 (1,675 Views)