Mass Effect 3 (PC) - Origin (EA) is no longer running, Mass Effect 3 will now close

by Errinaya

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 3 (PC) - Origin (EA) is no longer running, Mass Effect 3 will now close

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi,

I played Mass Effect 3 when it was first released with no problems, I've today come back to play it and every time I've launched it it comes up with the error

Origin (EA) is no longer running, Mass Effect 3 will now close.

However the Origin launcher (Shift + F1) bar is visible and when doing the key combo it opens and you can browse through the options with no issue.

I've tried searching the board and attempted all the items I've so far found.

I've disabled my AV and Malwarebytes for the purposes of testing.

I've checked Windows Firewall and Origin.exe, Mass Effect 3.exe and the EA Core Server Application.exe located in both the DA:O and Mass Effect 3 folders are there.

I've disabled Windows Firewall completely with no change.

I've closed literally every program open except Origin with no difference.

I ran some command prompt script to check my network setting was not setup as experimental.

I've checked my display drivers for updates. (see below)

I checked Origin for updates, I'm currently on V9.4.22.2815 - 295318 with no apparent updates available.

I uninstalled Mass Effect 3 and reinstalled it, checked for updates on that and it is apparently up to date.

Does anyone have any further suggestions on how to solve this?

Kind of annoyed that a game that I bought on DVD for a series I've really enjoyed is now broken because I have to use Origin. I'm pretty glad I didn't purchase the Citadel DLC prior to attempting this.

<<ADDITONAL INFO TO SUPPORT POST>>

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/31/2014, 13:24:01
Machine name: XXXXXX
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: Z68X-UD3P-B3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16362MB RAM
Page File: 4009MB used, 28713MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1200&SUBSYS_83901043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4049 MB
Dedicated Memory: 977 MB
Shared Memory: 3071 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: IPS235
Monitor Id: GSM587D
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.4052 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.4052
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/2/2014 21:48:32, 17555104 bytes

If Tech Support see this and need addtional info, the Error Report ID is 06e4a8cd8000469f

Message 1 of 9 (12,719 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 3 (PC) - Origin (EA) is no longer running, Mass Effect 3 will now close

★★★ Novice

I fixed mine. Here is all i did. After trying all the posted sollutions. My problem was that my Origin wasnt on my system drive i.e. drive C:\. But instead was on my storage drive D:\. My reason is that my system drive is an SSD with a space premium. I uninstalled origin, this time installing it on my system drive. I did not have to move my games folder to the system drive, just origin.

Try it. it was a quick fix.

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (13,275 Views)

All Replies

Re: Mass Effect 3 (PC) - Origin (EA) is no longer running, Mass Effect 3 will now close

★★★ Novice

I fixed mine. Here is all i did. After trying all the posted sollutions. My problem was that my Origin wasnt on my system drive i.e. drive C:\. But instead was on my storage drive D:\. My reason is that my system drive is an SSD with a space premium. I uninstalled origin, this time installing it on my system drive. I did not have to move my games folder to the system drive, just origin.

Try it. it was a quick fix.

Message 2 of 9 (13,276 Views)

★ Novice

Awesome, 

Thanks your solution worked, I had a similar setup, Origin on my SSD and ME3 on my data drive. Moved Origin to the data drive and its now working. 

Message 3 of 9 (12,656 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 3 (PC) - Origin (EA) is no longer running, Mass Effect 3 will no

★★★ Novice

Gratz! I'm glad it worked for you too, the problem was really beginning to tick me off.

Message 4 of 9 (12,638 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 3 (PC) - Origin (EA) is no longer running, Mass Effect 3 will no

★ Novice

Reinstalling origin in your system drive is a bad idea.
And first of all, this problem just require a reinstallation of origin to work. Matters not if you don't reinstall it in your system drive.
However a lot of origin's problem are solved by reinstalling origin and when I say a lot, I mean a whole fu.... lot !!!!!
So here comes the thing if you install origin in your system drive the next desinstallation won't be able to delete all origin files since there's a bunch of them that will be used by the system at all time.
And when you will try to reinstall origin it will fail because of those remaining files wich means: you're screwed.

Message 5 of 9 (11,769 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you!

Message 6 of 9 (10,561 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Mine was already on my system drive and it still doesn't work. Maybe because it's the demo ?

Message 7 of 9 (8,255 Views)

★ Novice

I am having the same problem too.   I only have one drive. 

Message 8 of 9 (6,885 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you for this suggestion... a bit odd, this kind of a re-installation thingy, but it sure solved the issue... here I was thinking I might never be able to play the game or that I might have to re-install it again blah blah blah...

Thank you!

Message 9 of 9 (4,443 Views)