by TheSpartanburger

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Failed to Initialize PhysX Hardware Acceleration

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

This morning, when trying to launch ME3, I would get the following error:

"Failed to Initialize PhysX Hardware Acceleration

Using hardware accelerated PhysX has been requested, but the driverse were out of date.

Please download the latest drivers from

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_system_software.html

FATAL ERROR - EXITING"

At first I was a little confused on this as I have both an AMD CPU and GPU (Phenom II x4 910 and HD6870) and shouldn't even have PhysX installed but doing a little research into the issue, it seems that, because ME3 is an unreal engine game and the unreal engine requires PhysX for some of their visual effects, it is required regardless of what brand card you have.

I also found out that others have been having this problem too, however none of their solutions seem to work.

First attempt: Repair install ME3. No change.

Second attempt: Find the PhysX installer in the ME3 folder, reinstall, and try again. Doing this had no change.

Thrid attempt: Download installer and try that. The drivers linked were the 9.12.0213 drivers. No change either.

Fourth attempt: Restart your computer. No difference here either.

Fifth attempt: Using an alternate link to the drivers, I downloaded the 9.12.1031 drivers and tried those. This time, I get another error while installing. "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor." Re-downloading the installer yeilded the same result.

Sixth attempt: Re-install AMD drivers and Catalyst up to 9.002-120928m-149042C-ATI and 12.10 respectively (2D driver of 8.01.01.1266, Direct3D version 9.14.10.0926, OpenGL version 6.14.10.11931 and VISION version 2012.0928.1532.26058). No change.

Seventh attempt: I've seen reports that ME2 had a similar problem, so I decided to launch ME2 to see how well that went (My ME2 copy is digital from steam. My ME3 copy is a physical edition that is now tied to my Origin account). ME2, interestingly, went through PhysX setup and launched just fine. Trying ME3 directly afterwards resulted in the same error as before.

Edit: Eighth attempt: Find the PhysX drivers on the disk (disk 2) and install them (9.11.1107). Unfortunately, because it's within a .zip on the disk and is only openable by the installer, and seeing as how this is just the exact same thing as attempt #2, this had no results.

Right then. That's what I've tried with none of those working. I'm going to check the disk for Nvidia drivers and, if that doesn't work, completely uninstall ME3 and reinstall to see if that works.

Uninstalling and then reinstalling ME3 fixed the issue. 

Message 1 of 10 (62,207 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Failed to Initialize PhysX Hardware Acceleration

★★★ Novice

After playing a couple playthroughs on ME3 I went back and installed ME2 on my newer comp and played through.  After finishing ME2 I started up ME3 again (to import my character) which gave me this error about the PhysX drivers being outdated.

The logical conclusion is that somehow when you install ME2, an older PhysX Driver is installed which overwrites whatever PhysX Driver you currently have installed - I can't confirm but it makes sense when you think about it.

You don't actually have to reinstall ME3 completely - which can take forever if your internet sucks - mainly, because of the update portion.

The fastest fix is to browse on local drive to the following folder and run the PhysX installer there (This is where it was located for me)...

C :/ Program Files (x86) / Origin Games / Mass Effect 3 / _ (underscore) installer / physx / Redist / PhysX-9.11.1107-SystemSoftware (exe)

Takes about a minute and after the install, the error will not appear again the next time you run ME3.

Hoping this might help others in the future.

-ChriS

View in thread

Message 7 of 10 (47,523 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Novice

Just got this problem today.

ME3 MP always stuck on the loading screen.

Redownloaded and reinstalled Nvidia drivers, no go.

So, going for a whole new ME3 download and install.

Message 2 of 10 (61,932 Views)

Re: Failed to Initialize PhysX Hardware Acceleration (NecroPost)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

When ME3 is installed on your machine, the installation includes an "Installer" folder, open this, the subsequent "PhysX" folder, the subsequent "redist" folder: PhysX-(Version)-SystemSoftware.msi will fix your problem in a jiffy

Message 3 of 10 (54,352 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm having this issue right now.

I tried most steps, even unistalling and reinstallnig the game.

It didn't help.

What I couldn't do is to install PhysX installer in the ME3 folder nor from Nvidia offical site, as installer keeps telling me I have never version and aborts instalation.

Message 4 of 10 (51,706 Views)

Hero

@CroGamer002 wrote:

What I couldn't do is to install PhysX installer in the ME3 folder nor from Nvidia offical site, as installer keeps telling me I have never version and aborts instalation.

Remove Physx from your PC. It will no longer say you already have a newer version.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 10 (51,697 Views)

Re: Failed to Initialize PhysX Hardware Acceleration (NecroPost)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@MovingTarget78 wrote:

When ME3 is installed on your machine, the installation includes an "Installer" folder, open this, the subsequent "PhysX" folder, the subsequent "redist" folder: PhysX-(Version)-SystemSoftware.msi will fix your problem in a jiffy

This worked. If it won't let you repair, it needs to be installed.

Message 6 of 10 (48,650 Views)

★★★ Novice

After playing a couple playthroughs on ME3 I went back and installed ME2 on my newer comp and played through.  After finishing ME2 I started up ME3 again (to import my character) which gave me this error about the PhysX drivers being outdated.

The logical conclusion is that somehow when you install ME2, an older PhysX Driver is installed which overwrites whatever PhysX Driver you currently have installed - I can't confirm but it makes sense when you think about it.

You don't actually have to reinstall ME3 completely - which can take forever if your internet sucks - mainly, because of the update portion.

The fastest fix is to browse on local drive to the following folder and run the PhysX installer there (This is where it was located for me)...

C :/ Program Files (x86) / Origin Games / Mass Effect 3 / _ (underscore) installer / physx / Redist / PhysX-9.11.1107-SystemSoftware (exe)

Takes about a minute and after the install, the error will not appear again the next time you run ME3.

Hoping this might help others in the future.

-ChriS

Message 7 of 10 (47,524 Views)

Community Manager

@ammobake Hey, thanks for the detailed post, it's very useful.

Just so we have all the info, can I check if you're using a disc to install or the digital download?

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 8 of 10 (40,911 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I installed via the discs, originally, for both ME2 and ME3.  Sorry it's been a while.  Apparently, people are still being helped by this post today and I occasionally get messages (one in the last day or two) that it is helping people.

Thanks!

-ChriS

Message 9 of 10 (30,447 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey it might have been almost 2 years since you posted that fix but, I wanna thank you for it! It fixed my problem! I didn't had to uninstall the game just kinda redo the PhysX installation thingy!

Message 10 of 10 (25,216 Views)