Can't login to EA from Origin

by OTVOR

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't login to EA from Origin

★★★ Novice

Hello, I have had a heck of a time trying to run Origin on any of my PCs. I have downloaded it on 2 Macs beautifully, first try on both. So here's what I've tried (cracks knuckles):

All attempts are after clean boot and running as admin.

First, I tried downloading Origin from the main page, got error code 14:8 when launching the installer. Says it can't connect to the Origin server. I did get this to work once, but couldn't login. Said  "Could not connect to the server, please try again in a few minutes."

Then tried an old version of Origin. Got as far as downloading SimCity, then upon launching the game, it said it was unable to connect to any of the servers, although all servers showed as Available. Both Origin versions were file name OriginThinSetup.exe.

Then tried a different version of Origin (OriginSetup.exe). An older version, but this one actually installs Origin. But this scenario is the same as the first; " Could not connect to the server, please try again in a few minutes."

I've made exceptions in my firewall, although that's out of the equation after clean boot.

I've done the DNS flush.

I've done the netsh winsock reset. 

The proxy server setting in Internet Options was unchecked.

I can view the application in Task Manager, I can even see it in my Firewall. Like  I said, older versions are able sign in, but none of the newer ones. So it has to be something in Origin not agreeing with something on my computers, all running Windows 7 Enterprise.

I've tried on LAN and WiFi.

I've tried it in compatibility mode.

I've tried damn near everything you can find in these forums. Nothing is working for me. Please help!

Message 1 of 10 (1,308 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't login to EA from Origin

★★★ Novice

Hello @holger1405,

It appears to have been a router issue, as you suggested. We have a few different WiFi connections we can choose from, and out of curiosity, I chose a different one to see if it would work. The game is loaded and ready to go! Thank you so much!

Fellow gamers, if you have a similar problem connecting, if your mobile provider is different than your internet provider, try connecting via mobile hotspot to rule out router issues. (You can use bluetooth or USB to connect to your phone if you don't have WiFi capabilities on your computer.) Obviously, don't keep it that way unless you have an unlimited data plan, or you'll run your data out quickly!

View in thread

Message 8 of 10 (1,342 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

Hello @OTVOR 

I am really sorry for all those troubles with Origin client. What region are you in? Have you tried to login into your account, using alternative device/Internet connection? Keep us posted on this.

Cheers,

Archi 

Archi.png
Message 2 of 10 (1,298 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am in the eastern United States. I have tried this using a hard LAN connection and WiFi connection with no luck.

Message 3 of 10 (1,292 Views)

@OTVOR

First, run Origin as Administrator until the problem is solved.

Try to clean your Origin cache.

All settings in Origin (only in Origin not in the games) are back to default settings after this.)

- close Origin completely. (right click on the Origin symbol in the task bar > close)
    - Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
    - Type or copy  "%ProgramData%/Origin" (without quotes) > hit ENTER
    - Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for the "LocalContent" folder. (The "LocalContent" folder must remain untouched.)
    - Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
    - Type or copy "%AppData%" (without quotes)  > hit ENTER
    - Now your Windows explorer should have brought you to your "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Roaming" folder
    - Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the "Roaming" folder
    - In the address bar of your Windows explorer click on the word "AppData".
    - Open the "Local" folder
    - Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the  "Local" folder
    - Restart your PC. > test

If that don't works, deinstal Origin from the windows control panel. > reboot.

Then use CCleaner to clean the Registry. > reboot.

Now install this version of Origin running the installer as Administrator > reboot > test.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 10 (1,286 Views)

★★★ Novice

@holger1405

Followed your instructions verbatim, twice. Once regularly, once after a clean boot. Still getting the Origin login screen saying "Could not connect to the server, please try again in a few minutes." This, after I just logged in to EA to type this post. So I know it's not the servers.

Like I said in my original post, I got past this point once, using an older version of Origin that didn't require me to update it right away (it was using an older login screen, not the fancy one that pops up.) Haven't been able to replicate it though. It has to be an issue with this screen or version or something, and it not agreeing with any of the other two Windows 7 machines I've tried.

Message 5 of 10 (1,272 Views)

@OTVOR

Because all Windows 7 Machines at your Network refuse to connect it indicates a router problem. (Could also be regional, run "UOTrace" as described in this guide.)

Make sure this ports are open at your router. 

Origin Ports
TCP: 80; 443; 9960-9969; 1024-1124; 3216; 18000; 18120; 18060; 27900; 28910; 29900
UDP: 1024-1124; 18000; 29900

Me3 Port
Port 3659

Furthermore, deactivate your Windows Firewall and your Virus scanner for the testing process.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 6 of 10 (1,263 Views)

Hello @OTVOR 

Let us know if @holger1405 advice helped you resolve this, or if you are still in need of assistance. 

Cheers,
Archi

Archi.png
Message 7 of 10 (1,249 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello @holger1405,

It appears to have been a router issue, as you suggested. We have a few different WiFi connections we can choose from, and out of curiosity, I chose a different one to see if it would work. The game is loaded and ready to go! Thank you so much!

Fellow gamers, if you have a similar problem connecting, if your mobile provider is different than your internet provider, try connecting via mobile hotspot to rule out router issues. (You can use bluetooth or USB to connect to your phone if you don't have WiFi capabilities on your computer.) Obviously, don't keep it that way unless you have an unlimited data plan, or you'll run your data out quickly!

Message 8 of 10 (1,343 Views)

@OTVOR

You're welcome, have fun Gaming.

Message 9 of 10 (1,226 Views)

Thank you so much @OTVOR for posting your solution here. Glad to know you are able to play the game now. And your post is awesome! I am sure, other users will find it useful as well. 

Cheers,

Archi

Archi.png
Message 10 of 10 (1,214 Views)