Black Screen error at the end of Priority Sur'kesh

by cpfaustus

Original Post

Black Screen error at the end of Priority Sur'kesh

★★★ Newbie

After the atlas fight on Priority: Sur'Kesh the screen goes black. It happens after the cut scene when the game should start loading the Normandy but instead I'm just hearing the fight music with a black screen and the containment unit's health bar in the top right corner. I can access the menu and when I enter commands I can even hear Shepard moving around, but the next scene won't load. I restarted my computer a bunch of times and played the whole level through from the start as well. I tried reducing my graphic settings and running as an administrator. Nada.

Message 1 of 7 (2,103 Views)

Betreff: Black Screen error at the end of Priority Sur'kesh

[ Edited ]

Did you tried to repair the game files?

Did you tried another save game from before the Mission?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 7 (2,049 Views)

Re: Black Screen error at the end of Priority Sur'kesh

★ Novice

I've just started to get this exact same problem. Totally black screen, except for the "Pod Integrity" bar in the top right corner. I can hear Shepard moving around the environment when I use the movement keys. I can get him to fire his weapon (and he reloads when a clip runs dry). I can use the Esc key to access the menus. I can change the settings, the resolution, everything... but nothing fixes the problem.

I've never encountered it on any other playthrough of the game (and I have played it several times in the past six months).

I just installed a bunch of minor DLCs, and the ALOT texture upgrade (ALOT was the last thing I installed before the problem started).

I walked around on the Citadel a bit, completed some side quests there, then flew around in the Normandy, completing a few DLC side quests. Sur'kesh was the very next full mission I've run since installing ALOT.

I've installed the Large Address Aware patch, just in case. It had no effect.

I tried removing the Local_Profile.sav file from the Documents/Bioware/Mass Effect 3 directory (someone suggested that for a similar problem encountered during the final cut scene, at the end of the game). Also had no effect.

I've tried going back to a save before the mission and trying it again. It doesn't change anything.

Will repairing the game files purge all the upgrades I just loaded? (I assume yes, but thought it fair to ask)

Message 3 of 7 (2,033 Views)

[ Edited ]

It will purge every non Bioware DLC or Mod you use.

However, you can make a backup of your  "drive:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\BIOGame" folder before the repair, so if the repair does not help you can simply copy the "BioGame" folder back into "drive:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\" and have your changes back.

If the repair was successful you also can make a backup of your "new" "BioGame" folder and then copy the backup "BioGame" folder with the Mods back to see if the issue persist.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 4 of 7 (2,020 Views)

★ Novice

I copied the BIOGame directory to another location on my HD and repaired the game files. 

I loaded the last autosafe for Sur'kesh, which is when I start fighting the Atlas. Finished the fight, the cutscene ran and it successfully transitioned to the next cutscene, with Hackett. 

So, that worked. Thanks.

I'll now copy the BIOGame folder out and copy in the backup BIOGame folder (with the mods), to see if that works. *fingers crossed*

Message 5 of 7 (2,005 Views)

★ Novice

Just as a followup to this...

I had to run the non-BioWare DLCs through ME3Explorer to process them again, but the ALOT texture updates took without any additional effort.

Just for the heck of it, I went back to the Sur'kesh mission, and it caused the same black-screen at the end. Fortunately, I still had a save from after getting past that point, so I just went to that and continued on.

I've gone through about 4 or 5 mission since, and I haven't encountered any other problems yet.

Message 6 of 7 (1,975 Views)

[ Edited ]

vortmax:

Just as a followup to this...

I had to run the non-BioWare DLCs through ME3Explorer to process them again, but the ALOT texture updates took without any additional effort.

Really? That's strange, all the textures and mashes you changed should have been in the "BIOgame" folder.

vortmax:

I've gone through about 4 or 5 mission since, and I haven't encountered any other problems yet.

That's good to hear, have fun gaming.

Message 7 of 7 (1,966 Views)