Mass Effect Trilogy: ME2 doesn't start with Origin after install

by SanteuZ

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect Trilogy: ME2 doesn't start with Origin after install

★★★ Newbie

@vinnieb58 wrote:

@Brutalistanbul wrote:

I found a solution to it (it worked for me).

In binaries directory:

Rename MassEffect2.exe as MassEffect2Launcher.exe

Rename ME2Game.exe as MassEffect2.exe

Now It Works fine and it can import Mass Effect 1 saves.

Hope work for everyone.

I have no idea what black magic this fix uses but it worked B-E-A-UTIFULLY! Thank you so much I was getting so frustrated!

Worked for me too. Amazing job by brutalistanbul.

It's really sad that EA hasn't fixed this problem.

Message 51 of 131 (4,296 Views)

★ Novice

OMG thank you so much, ur the only solution on the internet that actually worked. I don't understand why those files aren't labeled that way in the first place but you rock dude. Thank you. Cheers.

Message 52 of 131 (4,240 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Nothing in the thread that I've tried works for me.  Not completely, at least.  Is there a way to repair the core binaries?  Pushing them down into recycle bin seemed to convince origin that the entire game (despite having literally everything else) was not on my system and only gave me the download option.  I'm attempting to repair the core .par files now.

Effect: Game does not start at all, including ActivationUI.exe not appearing in task manager

Failed Solution: Rename the binaries.

Partial Solution: Delete config and repair.

Effect: Game shows up in task manager but does not have a window presence.  Requires killing ActivationUI from taskmanager to get Origin to realize it's not running.  MassEffect2.exe variably takes up around 1 to 2 MB of RAM.  I've checked and I definitely have more RAM available, so it's not running out of memory.

Prior to this problem, off of an ME1 config-imported save with free-only DLC

Last 5 missions, in order, completed: Krogan Recruitment, Horizon, Quarian Recruitment, Subject Zero Loyalty, Assassin Recruitment

The game had previously crashed betweenProject Firewalker DLC missions (on the galaxy map) before completing the Krogan Recruitment.  This crash corrupted task manager and forced a hard reboot to get anywhere.

Going to try a sequence of solutions soon if this repair doesn't work:

repair (already completed multiple times, including a couple of redownloads)

rename binaries (AND .PAR FILES, I'm guessing?)

force every binary file I can find to run in Win7 compatability and ask to run in administrator mode.

EDIT:

Okay, all three solutions in sequence seems to be working?  It's accumulating RAM now, at least.

EDIT 2:

and we got this: http://puu.sh/9dgOt/dcd81afa5d.jpg

which I believe is the forth solution posted here.

EDIT 3:

vc reinstalling didn't work.  I am using a Win7 machine with a Radeon graphics card.  The following solutions (abbreviated and paraphrased) from this thread were required to get to the vc error:

delete config binary and data folder and repair

rename MassEffect2 -> MassEffect2Launcher and ME2Game -> MassEffect2 (both binaries and par files)
set up compatability properties for both binaries to use Win7 compatability and run as administrator

You absolutely MUST complete ALL THREE solutions if you're having this problem.  No one solution is complete.

EDIT 4:

Links to the three solutions, in order:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-2/Mass-Effect-Trilogy-ME2-doesn-t-start-with-Origin-after-insta... 6th message down, blue text

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-2/Mass-Effect-Trilogy-ME2-doesn-t-start-with-Origin-after-insta... 3rd message down, marked as solution

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-2/Mass-Effect-Trilogy-ME2-doesn-t-start-with-Origin-after-insta... 6th message down, with the quote

Message 53 of 131 (4,221 Views)

★ Novice

Solution!!

Go to installation folder:

...\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries

Rename MassEffect2.exe as ME2Game.exe

"/facepalm

".exe Filenames are switched, their names should be the other way around.

Hope it works for everyone!

Message 54 of 131 (4,203 Views)

★ Novice

@Zinetic wrote:

Solution!!

Go to installation folder:

...\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries

Rename MassEffect2.exe as ME2Game.exe

"/facepalm

".exe Filenames are switched, their names should be the other way around.

Hope it works for everyone!

I can confirm that this worked for me. Thanks

Message 55 of 131 (4,146 Views)

★ Novice

Holy **bleep**! You are a genius! Thank you for your solution!

Message 56 of 131 (3,900 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same Problem here. This will be the first AND last game I ever bought at Origin. It's risible this problem exists that long and not a single supporter is able to solve it. Right now I'm donwloading the game for the third time. Renaming the files will be my last try.

Will I get the costs for downloading at least 30 GB trying to solve this problem back from EA? Would be fair! Strange that I never had such problems with that other big platform out there ;-)

Message 57 of 131 (3,885 Views)

★★ Novice

The renaming of the two .exe in the binaries folder also worked for me on the 2nd reinstall.

I brought the trioligy few days ago, i had little problems with ME1 but i quickly fixed them.

But these problems with ME2 is outrageous. this is Augusy 2014, why dont you have a fix for this EA / ORIGIN ?

you could atlest give info through Origin about it how to manually fix if your programmers cant code it. THen one dont have to google for solutions which should not be needed in the first place.

i cant wait to see if ME3 runs smoothly.

Regards.

Message 58 of 131 (3,733 Views)

★ Novice

Worked for me. Thanks!

Message 59 of 131 (3,660 Views)

★★★ Newbie

renaming the .exe files dont work, only leads to the game wanting to reinnstall completely

Message 60 of 131 (3,512 Views)