Mass Effect Trilogy: ME2 doesn't start with Origin after install

by SanteuZ

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect Trilogy: ME2 doesn't start with Origin after install

★★★ Newbie

I would just like to add that I too have this very same problem. I recently bought the ME trilogy off GreenManGaming's sale, which included an Origin Key for all three games. I downloaded ME1 and ME2. I was able to find a save file for ME1 to import to ME2, I have played ME2 on Xbox 360 and enjoy that game so I decided to skip ME1 using a save file.

I was able to start the game the first time fine, I had some issues connecting to the Cerberus Network at first but my third attempt at opening the game I connected, no problem.

So I try to import my save file and it gives me the "Run the Configuration Utility" message. So I do that.

That is when the game would no longer run. Just like all of you guys, I hit "Play" and it never loads. I tried many different methods and right now I'm actually downloading the entire game and all DLC again after trying the manual save method, deleting the config.exe and repairing the installation etc.

If this doesn't work, I will not download the entire game again. I have data cap limits, and this is a sizable download. EA will be refunding me my money for all DLC and the game itself if I can't get it to work. It's been over a year, and did anyone truly get their problem fixed by anyone at EA? It seems to me that this issue is still plauging people, this is ridiculous.

Message 31 of 131 (14,410 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

1) In binaries directory:

Rename MassEffect2.exe as MassEffect2Launcher.exe

Rename ME2Game.exe as MassEffect2.exe

2) after, start ME2 from origin and given a mscvp80.dll error.  (I searched that this error was a vc redist. program error.)

3) I reinstalled vcredist 2005 ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Mass Effect 2\__Installer\vc\vc2005\redist\vcredist_x86.exe) and stop running origin application.

4) I restart origin app. then I restart me2 from origin. And it seems working but it wasn't. Only black screen... Game haven't been loaded.

5) Pressed Ctrl+alt+del, looked running applications. I have seen that a message window has been popped up behind the black screen.

6) This message shortly as I remember said that there was a shortcut problem and if you accept , it will use default map. 

7) I accepted that message and game has been started from origin.

8) I think this problem is solved for me Standard smile

I hope it will be useful for others and thanks for the first step brutalistanbul

- I am using beta version enabled Origin Version 9.3.6.4643 - 239145 - E2-S2-A2-L2 and ME2  v1.02

-Win7 x64 , ati radeon hd 5165, 4 gb ram, core i5 m430 @2.27Ghz

Message 32 of 131 (14,382 Views)

★★★★ Novice

i stil have a problem how do i know when it has updatet to beta??? and it dosent say anything when i restart?! can anyone help?

Message 33 of 131 (14,355 Views)

★★★★ Novice

i tried downloading the new beat v. and tried to make origin repair my pc and took me2 from a different pc and replacing it... but it still dosent work!!!

Message 34 of 131 (14,276 Views)

★★★ Novice

If anyone is having problems with the "Play" button being grayed out in Origin, check out my post here.

Message 35 of 131 (14,246 Views)

★★★ Novice

Genius!!!

Message 36 of 131 (14,152 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you so much. The suggestion about re-nameing the executables in the binary directory worked perfectly. Thank you so much.

Message 37 of 131 (14,123 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks!

Message 38 of 131 (13,874 Views)

★★ Novice

I just had the same exact problem as everyone else.

I tried eachems' steps, but they did not work for me.

I tried the following steps, and they did work:

@Brutalistanbul wrote:

I found a solution to it (it worked for me).

In binaries directory:

Rename MassEffect2.exe as MassEffect2Launcher.exe

Rename ME2Game.exe as MassEffect2.exe

Now It Works fine and it can import Mass Effect 1 saves.

Hope work for everyone.

For anyone else, I would simply try the solution by eachems or by brutalinstanbul...eachems' process took us about 12 minutes, but it didn't work....the process by brutalinstanbul took less than 5 minutes and it did work.

Thx for the help from everyone and good luck with your solution.

-Troy & Spike

Message 39 of 131 (13,725 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That Worked Wonderfully!

Message 40 of 131 (13,618 Views)