Re: Mass Effect Trilogy: ME2 doesn't start with Origin after install

by Holger1405

Original Post

@crackersnjam

What exactly didn't work?

Did you checked that the install directory is set correctly inside Origin?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 111 of 131 (1,144 Views)

★★★ Novice

Really all of it it origin closes down and yes i checked for the correct directories and configuration I was on with support for a majority of the morning 6-12 you do that. Look at the photo I have attached. If you wanna parse a log go ahead.

Message 112 of 131 (1,139 Views)

@crackersnjam

What exactly did happen? You downloaded the game and afterwards it jumped back to "Download"?

What happens if you click on "Download"?

Look if there is a "InstallLog.txt" (<drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\__Installer\")

Also load up the "Client_Log.txt" (C:\ProgramData\Origin\Logs)

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 113 of 131 (1,127 Views)

★ Novice

This method does not seem to work if you are playing the game through a Vault account as there is no option to right click and repair.  Had to delete Mass Effect 2 and redownload, then copy files as this post instructs.

Message 114 of 131 (742 Views)

@Casiopa

The Vault installation doesn't differ from an "normal" installation.

If there is no repair function, it means that the game has not been installed correctly.

Message 115 of 131 (731 Views)

★ Novice
All I know is I deleted the game, re-installed used the methods here with one exception and it worked fine. You need to rename the corresponding .par files just below the each of the two .exe files to reflect the two name changes as well. After that you get no issues. I do sometimes get a server connect error but as soon as I click ok on the error the game starts and works fine.
Message 116 of 131 (723 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi there,

I have the same problem described a few posts ago with ME2 not being able to start (I get the Windows error message). And yes, it was installed through Origin. 

I tried everything that was described in this thread: renaming the .exe and .par, changing the compatibility, running it as admin... It still doesn't work. 

I also tried uninstall it and then install it again (twice, to be precised). I don't get why it is not working anymore, as it used to (perhaps 10 months ago?).

As for the compatibility, I have to say that I am under Windows 10 now and the compatibility can be set to Windows 8 but not 10.

I also have the patch 1.02 installed (it comes apparently directly with the installation of the game now) but my config should not be a problem anyway (I have a Core i5, 8 Go of RAM and a pretty good video card).

Has anyone found another solution for this bug that has been lasting for the past years? (Come on, EA...)

Thanks!

Message 117 of 131 (632 Views)

@Eejyl

What exactly does the error message say??  Have you tried the ME2 config.exe located in your Origin games-- mass effect 2 --Binaries folder??

Have you made sure the ME2game.exe is set to run as administrator and set to change for all users??  My game isn't using any compatibility to get it running, but some use XP others use Win7...

As far as EA/Bioware changing anything....don't hold your breath, it is an old game and not many studios will spend time making an 8+ year old game work on new systems without doing a remaster and asking money for it...it is a get what you get on old games....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 118 of 131 (616 Views)

@Eejyl

@Eejyl wrote:
As for the compatibility, I have to say that I am under Windows 10 now and the compatibility can be set to Windows 8 but not 10.

The Windows compatibility mode changes the way the OS is accessing the Application in question, it tries to make Windows 10 behave like the set compatibility mode Windows would, that's why there is no Windows 10  compatibility mode, it can't change the behavior of the Application itself.

What is the Error Massage?

Try to repair the game (in Origin > Game Library > right click ME2 > Repair)  I know that you reinstalled the game, try anyway. 

If that don't works,

Please create a DxDiag in text file format, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER and look if it has ME2 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up together with the DxDiag.

You can do that with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

Message 119 of 131 (612 Views)

★★★★ Novice

This does not work any longer.

Message 120 of 131 (599 Views)