Mass Effect 2 and Windows 10. Will we get a fix?

by Veritable_Sage

Original Post

Mass Effect 2 and Windows 10. Will we get a fix?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Though Mass Effect and Mass Effect 3 will be compatible, Mass Effect 2 will NOT be compatible on Windows 10.  Is there some adjustment that can make the game playable on Windows 10, or will a fix be provided?

Message 1 of 50 (33,636 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 2 and Windows 10. Will we get a fix?

Community Manager

As Windows 10 is still only available as a preview it is not a supported OS.

barry.png
Message 2 of 50 (33,169 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am not speaking about the "preview".  I have read that the compatibility of the final Windows 10 will be similar to Windows 8.  So I ran a Windows 8 compatibility check on my system and Mass Effect 2 is listed as not compatible.  Is it possible that Windows 10 could change that?  I sure hope so.  But, if not, my question was, will EA/Bioware do a compatibility fix for ME2 games played on Windows 10?

Message 3 of 50 (33,162 Views)

Community Manager

@Veritable_Sage 

That is yet to be determined.

barry.png
Message 4 of 50 (33,155 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the new Windows 10. The Mass effect Trilogy games worked very well for me except one MAJOR problem...I could not save any of the games! I hope there is a simple solution soon 'cause I really like to keep Win 10.

Message 5 of 50 (32,499 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I just loaded Windows 10 from my Windows 7 (64 bit). Both Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 ran perfectly (except I could not save Shepard at the end!). Here are the issues I had to resolve when loading WIN 10: One, wait until Microsoft loads ALL of its update before doing anything. Two, download your graphics driver (mine was NVidia). Three, verify that your game is located in Origin (This PC > Local Disk (c\Program Files (x86).Origin Games.Mass Effect 3.Binaries.Win32.MassEffect3). Four, run the game as Administrator (Most important for my situation). 

Message 6 of 50 (32,487 Views)

★ Novice

Hi. I just installed Mass Effect 2 on my Win10 machine, and I cant save either. Not even the settings (graphics)... I tried running as admin, but then the game doesn't start, when I later tried running normal again, it won't start either. Any ideas?

Message 7 of 50 (32,141 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 2 and Windows 10.

★★★★★ Expert

It's not the game's fault that Windows 10 won't let it save.  You haven't told Windows what to do, and it considers  the game to be a rogue. 

Message 8 of 50 (32,137 Views)

★★ Novice

mass effect 2 does work on windows 10 , you have to goto the main game folder of mass effect 2 and for both mass effect2.exe 's  right click and them and goto properties and click on compatability and select windows 8, and run as administrator , click ok on them both, and make a shortcut of the 2nd mass effect 2.exe down in the game folder on the desktop, and it will load everytime no issues, but from time to time it will crash once in a blue moon, but it works , i;ve just done the game, but mass effect 3 is not even loading at all, mass effect 1 i had to use a crack to get it to work on windows 7,8,10 and running it under windows 7 emulation with administrator on, might go back to windows 7 at this rate lol. hope this helps.

Message 9 of 50 (31,169 Views)

★★★ Novice

Have they any idea how pathetically dumb they appear to be. ME and ME 3 will work on windows 10, but apparently it's just too complicated for them to get ME 2 to work on win 10. They knew win 10 was going to replace all previous versions of windows and too prepare for it. 

Message 10 of 50 (31,006 Views)