Re: Mass Effect 2

by monsieurconnard

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 2 - Physx error

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I purchased the Mass Effect 2 game on disk from Half Price Books.  After installing, when I attempt to launch the game, I get an error that says, "Failed to initialize the physics system.  Please ensure you have an updated version of the PhysX System Software installed."

Could you please walk me through fixing this issue.

Message 1 of 35 (111,586 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Guide

I don't know exactly where the physx setup can be found on the disc.So do not launch automatically your disc, but open it (right click and "open") and make a search on it with keywords "physx".

If you find the setup, launch it (after you uninstalled the version of physx you had before).

Another solution would be to, like the first one, uninstall physx from your computer, uninstall Mass Effect 2 and reinstall it.

To be clear, the issue seems to be that Mass Effect 2 is working with the version of physx provided in the disc, and not with the latest.

View in thread

Message 6 of 35 (122,043 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Guide

What is your graphics card model ?

Message 2 of 35 (111,443 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670

Message 3 of 35 (111,439 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Okay, if you have a version of Physx in your computer, uninstall it.

You should find a Physx install on your disc, find it and install it.

Message 4 of 35 (111,437 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Would it be possible for you to give me some more specific directions?  I am not sure how to do that.

Message 5 of 35 (111,434 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I don't know exactly where the physx setup can be found on the disc.So do not launch automatically your disc, but open it (right click and "open") and make a search on it with keywords "physx".

If you find the setup, launch it (after you uninstalled the version of physx you had before).

Another solution would be to, like the first one, uninstall physx from your computer, uninstall Mass Effect 2 and reinstall it.

To be clear, the issue seems to be that Mass Effect 2 is working with the version of physx provided in the disc, and not with the latest.

Message 6 of 35 (122,044 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Ok I'm very confused now.

So I need to find PhysX on my system and uninstall it from my computer, then reinstall it from the Disk because the newest version of PhysX will not work with Mass Effect 2?  How do I find PhysX on my computer?

I have managed to find it on the disk under Software.

Message 7 of 35 (111,428 Views)

★★★★ Guide

To uninstall Physx on your computer, go on your control panel, and then on "Uninstall a program" where you should find the Physx installed on your computer (Probably called "NVIDIA Physx ...").

That's what I read on forums about this issue, I can't be sure of this as I didn't have this problem before.

Message 8 of 35 (111,424 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This seems to have worked.  The game is running normally now.

Message 9 of 35 (111,420 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

To Fully Clarify both the Problem and the Solution

1) PhysX drivers WILL NOT negitively effect a non-NVidia card since the software itself does not focus on the Graphics card

2) If you do not have an nVidia Card, and you are getting the Physx update error when trying to Run Mass Effect 2 you must uninstall any version of PhysX you have (even if other games require it) and install PhysX_9.09.0814_SystemSoftware which is found in the software folder of Disc 2 of Mass Effect 2 (or possibly online somewhere)

3) If you try to update to or already have newer versions of PhysX, the version that is required by Mass Effect 2 will either be overwritten, or otherwise refuse to install because it detects a newer version. In either case Mass Effect 2 will not run and/or stop running

4) If you play games that require newer versoins of PhysX then you will need to uninstall Physx and reinstall  PhysX_9.09.0814_SystemSoftware every time that you want to play Mass Effect 2, and then reinstall newer PhysX whenever you switch back to your newer games so, I recommend that you keep a copy of both  PhysX_9.09.0814_SystemSoftware and whatever newer version you need somewhere on your Hard Drive in case you need to juggle them for these reasons.

5) You do not need to reinstall Mass Effect 2 itself, only the  PhysX_9.09.0814_SystemSoftware in order to get it running again

Message 10 of 35 (110,680 Views)