Mass Effect 2 Not Saving

by CaptainSkinnyDic

Original Post

Mass Effect 2 Not Saving

★★★ Novice

I've been playing ME2 for a while now and have never had this issue until now. In-game I can access my save files, but they don't show up in the actual files themselves, in the documents folder. I've tried reinstalling the game, verifying the cache, editing the save location, and nothing works. Using Steam/Win10, both of which have been manageable until now.

Message 1 of 10 (2,220 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 2 Not Saving

[ Edited ]

C:\Users\(your user name)\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save

This is the standard address used by ME2 in a Windows 10 install.  Is this the location or one very like it that you are checking??  If you are playing off steam, then it MAY alter it some, but this is the location of mine, off originally disks and then Origin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 10 (2,183 Views)

★★★ Novice
Yes, the Steam version uses the same path, except the BioWare folder is located in "documents". I've used them to manually import saves into ME3. Oddly enough, saves from previous playthroughs are located there.
Message 3 of 10 (2,176 Views)

Actually I just went back and looked and I have two exactly the same folders for Bioware in my Windows 10 install.

C:\Users\(User Name)\Documents\BioWare

C:\Users\(User Name)\BioWare

I don't know if they are linked, just duplicates or left over from windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade....or from migrating from disk install to Origin....lol...live and learn

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 4 of 10 (2,166 Views)

★★★ Novice

It may just be a Win7 thing. I'm using a computer that came packaged with 10. I tried editing the save location in the GamerSettings file in the config folder (from the users area, not program files) again and it does nothing. I can't even find the files with the search function. Maybe I screwed something up in there, but I've read it's worked as a solution elsewhere.

Message 5 of 10 (2,155 Views)

[ Edited ]

@CaptainSkinnyDic

Do you use onedrive?

It is possible that onedrive changed the location of your standard Windows "Documents" folder, on some systems it does that by default.

This also could be a sample rights issue. Did you tried to run the game and Origin as Administrator?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 6 of 10 (2,132 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't use Onedrive, and while I don't use Origin, I did try and see if it'd make a difference with Steam, but it doesn't.

Message 7 of 10 (2,102 Views)

@CaptainSkinnyDic

Did you try to run Origin and the game as Admin?

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 8 of 10 (2,083 Views)

★★★ Novice

Just tried it, and it still won't work.

Message 9 of 10 (2,068 Views)

@CaptainSkinnyDic

Ok, the saves are somewhere on your computer.

Copy and past "*.pcsav" into your Cortana search bar > click on the sheet at the top of the Cortana Window (best match for documents) > if the search finds files, move your mouse over the file and wait for the balloon notification so that you can see if it is a ME2 save. (Me3 uses the same file extension for the save games.) > if it is a ME2 save file, right click the result > Open file location.

If there is nothing found at "Documents" click "More" > All

Message 10 of 10 (2,059 Views)