Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network : how to change the account you log in with ?

by Shigwen

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network : how to change the account you log in with ?

★ Novice

When I wanted to play Mass Effect 2 on Steam recently, it asked me for my Cerberus Network account. By mistake, I entered my Origin log-in, since it asked for an EA account.

HUGE MISTAKE. The Email adress and pass I used long ago to play on steam are NOT the mail and pass I use for Origin. Now my steam Mass Effect 2 seems to be tied to my Origin Cerberus instead of my old Steam Cerberus.

So now, when I launch Mass Effect 2 on steam, it says "Enter a Cerberus Key or buy one" and I have no option to go back and enter another Email adress to log to.

I already tried to restart my computer, even tried to login through family sharing, clear my cash, nothing works. It just keeps asking for a Cerberus Key instead of allowing me to log into the Cerberus Network with the right Email.

Got Any Idea how to solve this ridiculous situation ?

Message 1 of 6 (5,418 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network : how to change the account you log in with ?

@Shigwen

ME2 start screen > Extras > Options > Online > disable out login > restart the game > logon manually. 

Also there is no Steam Cerberus network. The Cerberus network account is always an EA account.

So if you log on to Origin with the old credentials you used In steam, and then redeem the Steam CD key in Origin, you are logged on to the EA account your DLCs are on.

Furthermore, I am not entirely sure how the need to contacting EA support because you made a mistake would make EA "deserves its worst company award".

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (6,672 Views)

All Replies

Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network : how to change the account you log in with ?

@Shigwen

Try to redeem the Steam CD key in Origin. (Origin menu > redeem product code.)

If that works you should be able to get access to the Cerberus Network again.

If it fails you should contact EA directly. If you are not from the US change the country in the top right corner.

If you have trouble with the contact attempt look at this guide

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 6 (5,404 Views)

★ Novice

I am not from an English speaking country, so maybe my English isn't the best or I didn't understand how your answer would solve my problem, so I will try to be more accurate.

Your solution will allow me to log in to the Origin Cerberus Network account, not the Steam Cerberus Network account I formerly had with all the dlc.

If I wanted to do what you suggest I would just enter my Origin Cerberus CD Key when I launch the game on Steam and the problem would be solved. But the result would be : I can't acess my DLC on neither Steam or Origin, because both games would then automatically be tied to the new Cerberus Network Acc without the DLC.

What I want is to be able to access my former Steam Cerberus Acc, with its old Email adress. Now that I typed the new (Origin) Email adress on the game that's on Steam by mistake, it just keeps asking for the Cerberus Key tied to my Origin acc instead of giving me the opportunity to use another Email adress. This is the problem. I just want a "go back" button like it exists in every other game in the world, but EA won't le me do that because... because.

TLDR : How the * can you log out of the Cerberus Network once logged in or trying to log in since there is no "go back" Button or "change acc" or "disconnect" ?

if you tell me the only way is to contact support then i'll do it... but it would be another proof that EA deserves its worst company award votes...

Message 3 of 6 (5,395 Views)

@Shigwen

ME2 start screen > Extras > Options > Online > disable out login > restart the game > logon manually. 

Also there is no Steam Cerberus network. The Cerberus network account is always an EA account.

So if you log on to Origin with the old credentials you used In steam, and then redeem the Steam CD key in Origin, you are logged on to the EA account your DLCs are on.

Furthermore, I am not entirely sure how the need to contacting EA support because you made a mistake would make EA "deserves its worst company award".

Message 4 of 6 (6,673 Views)

★ Novice

If you don't see how having to search through so many options is a bad thing when a "go back" button would be so much more useful and easy to use... maybe we just have different point of views.

+ It happens to everyone to make mistakes when typing mails, or passwords, especially when they are that old.
+ it's tied to an old acc so you can't blame me for forgetting which Email adress I used. Especially when it asks for the "EA" adress (which I entered) and it wasn't the good one so... my mistake is - I guess - ok.

I guess i'm mad because I'm teaching how to make stuff more user friendly, so when I see big companies failing to this extent for things that should be so simple, it makes me really, really mad. I am not blaming them for my mistake of course. This is my own fault. But you cannot say here that there isn't a lack of ergonomy.

I mean even putting options in "extras" instead of "options" isn't user friendly at all !

Still, I deeply thank you for trying to help me, and will try the solution you provided to see if it changes anything.

Thanks sincerely

Message 5 of 6 (5,381 Views)

★ Novice

So, turns out the "old" Cerberus account turned out to have become an "empty" EA account with only the Mass Effect 2 DLC (but not the game since it was on steam). Now that I found a way to enter the right Email adress (not through your solution but i'm sure it might work too), I can play the game on steam with the DLC that are on Origin. Clever much. At least it works ! Thanks for the help Standard smile

Message 6 of 6 (5,376 Views)