Launch Error: "Direct3D is not available because computer is locked."

by Dae314

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Launch Error: "Direct3D is not available because computer is locked."

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi All, I've been playing happily through ME2 for a few months now (33 hours logged), but today when I went to start the game I found that it refused to boot with the error in the title and above.  Nothing happens after I try to start the game except the error window pops up.  I've tried the following:

• Repair ME2 through Origin
  • Update my GPU drivers
  • Uninstall then reinstall ME2 through Origin
  • Uninstall then reinstall ME2 without addons/DLC through Origin
  • Multiple reboots between steps
  • Checked dxdiag to make sure Direct3D is enabled (it is)
  • Ran sfc /scannow (no problems detected)

My system is configured as follows:

• Windows 10 x64 Version 1703 OS Build 15063.296 (Creator's update)
  • AMD 7970 GPU (Driver version window below)
  • i7-4770K stock
  • 8GB memory

I installed the Creator's update on 5/12, and I think that this is the first time I've tried to start ME2 under that update.  I'm not sure if the update may have affected the game.

Message 1 of 2 (2,234 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Launch Error: "Direct3D is not available because computer is locked.&qu

★★★ Newbie

I've got some good news and some strange news.

Good news: I managed to start up ME2 this morning after my computer was shutdown over night.

Strange news: I'm not sure what I did.  Since I posted, I tried the following:

• Uninstalled my AMD drivers
  • Booted into safe mode and checked the C:\Program Files\AMD folder and C:\AMD folder
  • The C:\Program Files\AMD folder was empty, but the C:\AMD folder was not so I moved it to C:\AMD_old and made a new C:\AMD folder
  • I then rebooted into regular mode and reinstalled the AMD drivers to the most recent level (same level as my screenshot)
  • The driver install called for a reboot, and after that I tried opening Origin and starting ME2, but it failed with the same error
  • I gave up at this point yesterday and went about my normal business till I shutdown for the night
  • This morning after booting, I tried to start ME2 just to try (new day, new opportunity right?), and ME2 started successfully

The only thing I can think of is that the driver uninstall/clean reinstall worked, but in order for it to work, I had to shutdown Windows completely, not just restart.  If that is the solution it's rather odd.  Hope this helps anyone who runs into this issue in the future.

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (2,864 Views)

All Replies

Re: Launch Error: "Direct3D is not available because computer is locked.&qu

★★★ Newbie

I've got some good news and some strange news.

Good news: I managed to start up ME2 this morning after my computer was shutdown over night.

Strange news: I'm not sure what I did.  Since I posted, I tried the following:

• Uninstalled my AMD drivers
  • Booted into safe mode and checked the C:\Program Files\AMD folder and C:\AMD folder
  • The C:\Program Files\AMD folder was empty, but the C:\AMD folder was not so I moved it to C:\AMD_old and made a new C:\AMD folder
  • I then rebooted into regular mode and reinstalled the AMD drivers to the most recent level (same level as my screenshot)
  • The driver install called for a reboot, and after that I tried opening Origin and starting ME2, but it failed with the same error
  • I gave up at this point yesterday and went about my normal business till I shutdown for the night
  • This morning after booting, I tried to start ME2 just to try (new day, new opportunity right?), and ME2 started successfully

The only thing I can think of is that the driver uninstall/clean reinstall worked, but in order for it to work, I had to shutdown Windows completely, not just restart.  If that is the solution it's rather odd.  Hope this helps anyone who runs into this issue in the future.

Message 2 of 2 (2,865 Views)