play mass effect 1 with steam controller

by seccentral

Original Post

play mass effect 1 with steam controller

★★★★ Novice

Heya,

I want to play ME1 with steam controller.

I have the me1 controller mod from nexusmods and have all the interface configured properly for controller but steam is unable to hook to this game's executable due to origin probably.

Any workaround ?

Message 1 of 10 (1,935 Views)

Re: play mass effect 1 with steam controller

@seccentral

Did you disabled Origin in Game?

Did you tried to add Origin to steam and run it from there?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 10 (1,921 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello,

Yes.

I have tried:

running steam as admin

disabled origin ingame overlay

adding me1 as a non steam game and running from there

adding origin as a non steam game and running me from this origin instance (steam hooks into origin process, but not in me1 process)

none work.

I have windows 10 64 bit if that's relevant

Message 3 of 10 (1,914 Views)

★★★★ Novice

from what i can tell the problem is this :

it's not that steam can't hook into me1 exe, it's that steam doesn't have access to a running me1 instance when attempting to hook :

when launching me1 exe, steam hooks to it but it does some drm checking internally and launches an origin process and terminates. then steam just disregards it as process terminated and doesnt even bother with the child processes being spawned.

this origin process fully verifies ownership of licence to run me1 and then launches me1 exe. at this point steam doesnt care about the me1 instance anymore since it's a completely different pid and has nothing to do with the one originally launched.

how do i bypass that ? i don't want to buy a x360 controller just because some silly platform drm. i wanna play my games with my preferred controller which is steam controller. i'd rather ditch origin altogether.

please help.

Message 4 of 10 (1,911 Views)

@seccentral

What I suggested are things that I would have try to make it work, but I can't tell you if it is possible at all. 

As alternative, ME costs 10€ (and I assume 10$ as well) directly on steam. At least cheaper than a new x360 controller on eBay.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 5 of 10 (1,904 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I bought the whole trilogy bundle thing.. considering this 'suggestion' is completely out of the question. i own the hardware and i own the licence to run the software. it's just a technical problem. it will work, just got to find someone or a way to know how. will look for solutions elsewhere, thank you anyway

Message 6 of 10 (1,891 Views)

★★★ Guide

@seccentral

Is there a reason you ran it through the steam controller? The mod should just install into the game files.

Message 7 of 10 (1,871 Views)

★★★★ Novice

dont know what u mean.

its too early to talk about mods,

steam just won't hook to mass effect.exe process. mods are irrelevant if controller input doesnt reach the game.

Message 8 of 10 (1,857 Views)

★★★ Guide

You said you have the controller mod for Mass Effect. If you use that and plug in a controller that is recognized by your computer you should be fine.

Message 9 of 10 (1,851 Views)

@seccentral

As @FluidPanNerd pointed out you said you have the ME1 controller mode.

ME1 don't support controllers out of the box,  you need this mod to make a controller work.

Message 10 of 10 (1,844 Views)