Re: no registration code mass effect

by wantnofriends

Original Post

no registration code mass effect

★★★ Newbie

HI CAN YOU GUYS HELP JUST BOUGHT MASS EFFECT GAME AT A FLEA MARKET GAME IS FINE JUST MISSING THE REGISTRATION CODE CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME ? HAVE PROF OF PURCHASE WITH THE MANUAL

Message 1 of 9 (1,054 Views)

Hero

If it was at a flea market, I assume it's a used copy.

You're not supposed to buy PC games used. Without the product code, you can't install the game. If you know where to find the person who sold it to you, bring it back and ask your money back. Unfortunately, this is not something EA can help you with.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 9 (1,043 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just for the record and with all due respect: I have the code, and it still doesn't work. Tried to contact support, and it is still loading (after 1 hour or so). All I wanted is to replay it, so I took it off the shelf, reinstalled it, but so far it only gave me grief:

1) I needed to patch it, as otherwise you can't do anything (not even loading the support site...really?!), but it doesn't say so, and the program is uncapable of doing it or even just allowing it. Fortunately, there is a community site where patch 1.02 can be still downloaded and installed. This at least allowed the game to start.

2) But after that I just was facing a message that my key is wrong (you know, the same code the installation succeeded with 2 hours back), and that I need to enter the correct code. Well, it is printed on the back of the manual, so there is not much else I can do.

I understand this is only a game and there are much bigger problems in the world, so i won't curse the programmers, testers or anyone else and I will still probably sleep at night, but this is disappointing. Now I remember why I couldn't complete it back in 2010-ish: because it kept freezing up. Still, loved the atmosphere, but eventually I just gave up on it and moved on (never bought 2 or 3 for the same reason). In a recent nostalgic moment I decided to dust it off and install it in my laptop, hoping it would bring back the good memories... then it couldn't even start in the first place. Great. What a pity...

Message 3 of 9 (1,023 Views)

★★ Novice

if its a used copy you have the former user probably have used the code himself. the codes can only be used 1 time and after that you need to buy a new copy if you want the game. sorry for your loss of money.

Message 4 of 9 (1,009 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you for posting an answer here (I honestly didn't expect that: I never got any feedback from the support in the last 2 weeks, and online chat simply doesn't work (on one occasion I left it on for almost all day (forgot about it, to be honest), and it was still "contacting me shortly"...no comment)).

Anyway, to the heart of the matter: I am the previous and only owner (I got the box as a present from my best friend and it was me who broke it open). But it is good to know that the code is valid only one time. I don't even have the PC I have installed it on 6 years ago, so it seems there is nothing left to do, just put the box back to shelf (knowing that now the booklet is the most valuable part of it, as the game itself is useless).

Not a very consumer friendly policy (I have to say), but at least now I know what's going on, and I do appreciate that...thanks again!

Message 5 of 9 (982 Views)

Hero

@aryassen Actually the product codes of Mass Effect 1 are not one-time use only, assuming you have the original edition and not the Trilogy box. Mass Effect 1 has a different system where a single product code can be installed on five separate machines (and a hardware upgrade counts as a new machine), and after that support needs to be contacted.

If the product code is faulty, you'll still need customer support for that. If live chat doesn't work, try a different browser. You can also ask them to give you a digital copy on Origin.

Message 6 of 9 (969 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Got a digital version of the game I bought in november 2013.  Can't play due to no valid code and it has only been installed on the original computer I bought it on.

Not consumer friendly is very accurate I say.

Message 7 of 9 (898 Views)

Hero

@wantnofriends If it's the digital copy from Origin or Steam, then it's forever linked to your account. No registration code required. If you bought it somewhere else, please specify.

Message 8 of 9 (889 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I bought it on origin and happened after activating "cloud storage"  for DAI to have the sort of game+ status but even then that might be an unrelated reason.

Maybe its due to M.E.U.I.T.M. mod I use who knows?  But owning the ME twice as hardcopy and once digital its enervating to have to deal with.  How many times does one have to buy a game legaly to have a smooth experience!!

EA should release older games faster on GOG to be really free of any problems due to that holy copy protection rackett or release it DRM free themselves after 5 years.

But thanks for caring allready solved the problem

Message 9 of 9 (880 Views)