mass effect saves issue

by Minacrass

Original Post

Re: mass effect saves issue

★ Apprentice

I tried mingling with the "security" permissions, but still, no saving, and no loading of the borrowed saves xD

Message 51 of 73 (6,409 Views)

[ Edited ]

You did it exactly as I said?

OK, then go to your  "DefaultEngine.ini" folder for Mass Effect and make a copy of the "DefaultEngine.ini".

Open the original "DefaultEngine.ini"  Go to the  "SavePath=" line and change it to: SavePath="D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\BioGame\Save" with the quotes!

(Your second drive drive letter is D:\ and Mass Effect is now installed in the "Origin Games" folder on that drive, right?)

Save the file.

Start a new game and play until you can save by hand for the first time.  > test

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 52 of 73 (16,821 Views)

★ Apprentice

For some reason after changing that line of text, I couldn't see Your borrowed saved games anymore.

HOWEVER! Drumroll...

The saving worked! I was almost losing hope! :D 

Thank You so much :D

Hopefully if anyone encounters such issue in the future, this thread will have enough information for anyone to fix it :D

Message 53 of 73 (6,393 Views)

[ Edited ]

Minacrass schrieb:

For some reason after changing that line of text, I couldn't see Your borrowed saved games anymore.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Thats because we changed the save location from your "My documents folder" to your secondary drive. In your "Mass Effect\Binaries" folder is now a strange named folder with your save games.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Minacrass schrieb:

HOWEVER! Drumroll...

The saving worked! I was almost losing hope! :D

Thank You so much :D

You're welcome.

Minacrass schrieb:

Hopefully if anyone encounters such issue in the future, this thread will have enough information for anyone to fix it :D    

Well, it is a rather crude workaround. Still, make a copy of the "DefaultEngine.ini" as it is now in case that Mass Effect or origin override the file. You can also set it to read only.

I hope, but can't be entirely sure, that the relocation of the save folder do not cause any other problems with the game.

Have fun playing the Game, and thanks for the XP.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 54 of 73 (6,383 Views)

[ Edited ]

One last thing, ME2 will not be able to see your save files in the new folder if you try to import a ME1 character into ME2. You must copy the saves back into your "Save" folder in "My documents" to make ME2 able to see them.

Message 55 of 73 (6,356 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi again!

I finished my ME1 game, and I wanted to import my saved games to ME2.

I copied the save files back to "My Documents" and even made a "ME1" folder in the save folder of ME2. 

The game can see the save, but it doesn't react when I click on "import", just does nothing... The save is called "save 0", shows my character's level, but not the class. 

Is there an easy way to fix this?

Message 56 of 73 (6,339 Views)

★ Apprentice

Edit:

When I try to import my ME1 saves (I put all the saved games into a "ME1" folder, and that folder I copied into the Mass Effect 2 save folder. In the configuration I chose that folder to be the source to import from, just in case the ME1 folder in "My Documents" was behaving weird), the game take the "char" file, and creates a folder with the same name. 

For some reason, that folder is empty. I tried copying the save files into that folder, but after I run ME2 and try to import, the folder is empty again...

Message 57 of 73 (6,336 Views)

Welcome back. Wink

It's the same problem as with the ME1 saves.

Please shutdown UAC then reboot and try again. disable user account control.

It's not recommanded to have UAC down besides for test purposes. So don't forget to turn it on again.

Message 58 of 73 (6,328 Views)

★ Apprentice

Unfortunately that didn't work... The ME2 didn't want to turn on, I used the repair function, which helped. But it still wouldn't import Frown

Message 59 of 73 (6,320 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok, you said the last time that saving in ME2 works, is that still true? (Backup all your ME1 saves, just in case)

Minacrass schrieb:

just in case the ME1 folder in "My Documents" was behaving weird), the game take the "char" file, and creates a folder with the same name. 

This folder contains the ME1 "char" files before you lunch ME2, right?

If so copy the ME1 "char" save games back to the "char" file folders ME2 created, then make this folders read only.

Lunch ME2 as Admin > Try.

Message 60 of 73 (6,314 Views)