mass effect 1 freezes during intro

by Bernstroemea

Original Post

Accepted Solution

mass effect 1 freezes during intro

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice
Hey there. After updating my System to win 10 I have installed my good old me1 (Original retail cd Version). I had heard of several Problems with win 10 so I updated to 1.02 right away. The Game Starts fine but during the intro Video the System crashes completely. (Not even the Hardware Reset Button does work) I have already tried to change the .dll's which didn't work. The win liabillity Report doesn't show any problems with ME. I am very thankfull for ideas.
Message 1 of 12 (960 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: mass effect 1 freezes during intro

[ Edited ]

@Bernstroemea

Sorry, but on the English part of the forum we need to write in English. I will tag @EA_David and @EA_Nils and ask them if they can move the thread to this section of the German forum, but in the meantime it has to be English.

What's about the sound card driver? Is there a newer one?

Do you play other games in the moment?

There is a even newer geforce driver out, you can download it here. Test this driver, but if it doesn't work roll back to 359.06. You can find 359.06 here.

Install the graphic driver this way:

• shut down any not necessary programs in the background.
• shout down any and all system monitoring programs and any overlooking tools you might have.

• Download DDU:

• Install (if you have profiles for games, back them up using "NVIDIA inspector")

• run DDU > save mode >  NVIDIA Software and Drivers > Clean and Restart 

• Press the WIndows Key and X > Task Manager > Startup > Disable the NVBackEnd.

• shut down your virus scanner.

• Run the installation EXE > CUSTOM mode > preform a clean installation > install only the GPU Driver and the PHYSX software.

(don't deselect components you need even if the have the same version number, the installation program will deinstall them if you do)
• Reboot

Edit: @The missing Mini Dump

If I understand you correctly, you don't get a blue screen when the Machine crashes? 

There are several reasons why Windows can't produce a Mini Dump, and none are good.

What kind of PSU do you use?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 7 of 12 (969 Views)

All Replies

@Bernstroemea

Please create a DxDiag then load the file up. You can do that  with the button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 12 (946 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for answering, here is the file.

Message 3 of 12 (933 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Bernstroemea

So, da sind wir jetzt und unterhalten uns in Englisch. Wink

The driver for your SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio is extremely old, is there a newer driver for that card?

Moreover, your DxDiag shows some errors regarding Windows system files, but this errors should not crash the computer like you experienced.

We need to know what exactly is responsible for the crash.

Download "WhoCrashed" and run the program. > Click on "Analyze" > Scroll down and save everything after "Crash Dump Analysis" into a text file and load that text file up like the DxDiag.

One thing, you said that the Reset Button does not work after such a crash. Are you sure that the Button works at all?

Message 4 of 12 (926 Views)

★★★ Novice
So dürfte es leichter sein. Die Windows Probleme sind bekannt, haben allerdings tatsächlich nichts damit zu tun. Das mit dem Reset Knopf verstehe ich auch nicht. In allen anderen Fällen funktioniert er. Ich höre auch das Festplatte und Lüfter normal reagieren wenn ich Reset drücke aber das Bild bleibt schwarz... tippe daher auf Graka. Ich erstelle mal ein Protokoll mit whocrashed und Poste das. Danke schonmal.
Message 5 of 12 (921 Views)

★★★ Novice

So, jetzt wirds echt interessant... ich habe den Fehler nochmal provoziert, allerdings schreibt mir das Programm gar keinen Absturz raus (seit März) ich habe danach noch die jetzt aktuelle Graka eingebaut, seitdem die NVidia Treiber dementsprechend aktualisiert. ... was nun sprach der Clown?

Ich bin grade beim Versuch allerdings mal bis zum zweiten Dialog gekommen, erst danach war Ende.

Habe dann zunächst mit Reset neu gestartet. Den Geräuschen der Festplatte nach fährt der PC dabei normal neu hoch aber das Bild bleibt schwarz bis ich einen "heissen Abbruch" mache und neu starte.

Message 6 of 12 (907 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Bernstroemea

Sorry, but on the English part of the forum we need to write in English. I will tag @EA_David and @EA_Nils and ask them if they can move the thread to this section of the German forum, but in the meantime it has to be English.

What's about the sound card driver? Is there a newer one?

Do you play other games in the moment?

There is a even newer geforce driver out, you can download it here. Test this driver, but if it doesn't work roll back to 359.06. You can find 359.06 here.

Install the graphic driver this way:

• shut down any not necessary programs in the background.
• shout down any and all system monitoring programs and any overlooking tools you might have.

• Download DDU:

• Install (if you have profiles for games, back them up using "NVIDIA inspector")

• run DDU > save mode >  NVIDIA Software and Drivers > Clean and Restart 

• Press the WIndows Key and X > Task Manager > Startup > Disable the NVBackEnd.

• shut down your virus scanner.

• Run the installation EXE > CUSTOM mode > preform a clean installation > install only the GPU Driver and the PHYSX software.

(don't deselect components you need even if the have the same version number, the installation program will deinstall them if you do)
• Reboot

Edit: @The missing Mini Dump

If I understand you correctly, you don't get a blue screen when the Machine crashes? 

There are several reasons why Windows can't produce a Mini Dump, and none are good.

What kind of PSU do you use?

Message 7 of 12 (970 Views)

★★★ Novice
Her we go again. Didn't mean to "play against the languauge rules". I have updated the sb driver thank you for the tip. Just to clarify, i do not get any report on the crash. The screen geschrieben blacj and the display shows the Hardware message "no signal or no cable connected". I will Check on the New graca driver. Is that a beta? For my nvidia update Tool says i have the latest version. Other Games without problems far cry2, crysis1, skyrim...
Message 8 of 12 (878 Views)

★★★ Novice
PSU is actually brand new bequiet bn240 400w.
Message 9 of 12 (876 Views)

★★★ Novice
Well i guess we have a winner... it was the psu. I Rippen out my sb and now it works. I think 400W is to weak for my System. Thank you for pushing me in the right direction.
Message 10 of 12 (854 Views)