Windows 8 mass effect doesn't start

by ThexRiot

Original Post

Highlighted

Windows 8 mass effect doesn't start

★★ Novice

Hi, I just bought mass effect trilogies, and I can't seem to start the game up. I've install the game and all, but when I press on the logo, I just see a origin start up sync, after nothing. I did try to run with windows xp or 7 compatibility, but it doesn't work... Any help would be appreciated, since the game cost me 60$ Standard smile TXH!

Message 1 of 21 (48,822 Views)

Mass Effect Trilogy on Windows 8

★★★ Newbie

I just bought Sonys latest VAIO E Series Laptop. its runs and Windows 8 and the guys at geek squad told me its specs are more than enough for the games requirements. after installing part one I can't seem to start it up. is it because of windows 8? please tell me what to do?.

Message 2 of 21 (47,956 Views)

Re: Windows 8 mass effect doesn't start

★★★ Newbie

Answer in message 4:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect/Mass-Effect-on-Windows-8/td-p/183728

gcxd68

"Thanks for your help, I did the following. I ran Steam\SteamApps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe once in the Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, then disabled it. It now runs perfect."

Message 3 of 21 (48,074 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue. I had a retail copy of the game purchased when it was initialy released. Could not get it to start on windows 8 pro 64 bit. Since all the "solutions" i found on the web involved either steam or origin, i went ahead an purchased another copy from origin, but the problem persists on this copy aswell. The compatibility settings worked previousely on win 7 (since initialy the game had problems with that to) but now they just don't. So lucky me now i've got two non functional copies of the game.

Another issue i have is with the Bring down the sky DLC, which doesen't even install. I tryed both with my previous key from my other copy of the game, and with the one found here https://help.ea.com/article/mass-effect-bring-down-the-sky-dlc-redemption , but the result is the same after the key validation the install stops randomly giving one of the following messages: "Instalation Failed" or "Instalation caneled".

This is really frustrating i really want to be able to play this game. That's why i bought a second copy of it since everyone was saying the origin version works. Please help.

Message 4 of 21 (44,524 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Have you done what I did on my Win8 Pro/64-bit rig?

1.  Create a desktop shortcut to the game launcher ("\<user's game program path>\MassEffectLauncher.exe")

2.  Right-click on it and choose "Properties" at the bottom.

3.  Click the "Compatibility" tab at the top.  (You can actually do steps 2-3 during step 1.)

4.  Check the "Compatibility Mode"' box and select "WinXP (SP3) from the drop-down.  (NOTE:  For this kind of thing, I click the "Change for all users" first so that the change will work for everybody on my machine, even though no one else uses it regularly.)

5.  Start the game from the shortcut instead of from the EA/Origin client.

(While one can apply the "Compatibility Mode" setting directly to the program file, I found that ME1 still wouldn't launch from my EA/Origin client, even though it does on my Win7/64-bit machine.)

That's it!

Working fine for me doing it that way (although Origin still thinks I haven't played ME1 at all. Confusedmileywink: )

Message 5 of 21 (44,502 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Nope it does not work for me. I've tried all compatibility settings with no results. running allways as admin no results, Uac disabled no results, set exceptions for the game's 3 exectutables in both firewall and data execution prevention still no results.

I should allso mention that my other copy (the one i purchased the first time it was available on pc) worked great on vista, and worked on win 7 64 bit with the mentioned compatibility settings. But now on win 8 it does the same as the new copy i bought on origin. I only bought the second copy becaust ppl were saying the origin one works and i tought it was updated or something but nope it's the same. I should allso mention that I'm runing origin as an administrator since otherwise my Mass Effect 2 and 3 behave the same as mass effect 1.

It doesent annoy me that I purchased another copy that allso doesen't work, the annoying part is that i really love these seeries and that i cannot play it Frown.

P.S. The windows version is Windows 8 Pro x64

Message 6 of 21 (44,474 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi, dude.

I also use Windows 8 Pro X64. I have Windows Defender set by default, and also bought ME1 through Origin. The solution is simple!

- First, before downloading ME1 through Origin, disable Windows Defender (Settings - Administrator).

- Second, download ME1 and keep Windows Defender disabled until ME1 is completely installed.

- Third, on the Start Menu, locate the Mass Effect shortcut (DO NOT run it through Origin YET, just AFTER you complete everything I posted below), click with the right mouse button and select "Run as administrator".

Now the game should start normally. Quit to the desktop, enable Windows Defender and now ME1 should run, even without running it as Administrator.

Well, at least it worked fine for me. I have Win8 Pro X64 and the video drivers fully updated. Hope it works for you as well!

Message 7 of 21 (44,161 Views)

★★ Novice

Odly enough I did this on my own before coming to this thread and it turns out that something about the intial loading on Windows 8 requires Admin privs (maybe it alters the registry on first load) then as you mentioned it runs fine every other time. I spent a good 3-4 weeks working with it before realizing this and just wanted to confirm that you have come accross a fix for it, though I imagine it would be easy for Bioware to release a patch to the installer that some how does this for you.

Message 8 of 21 (39,708 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

It is far too old now to ever be patched again.  

Message 9 of 21 (39,695 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I was having the same problems too.  Win8/64bit.

To fix, they're right about capatability mode.   You will have to set it up twice 1) for the Mass Effect 1 config program and 2) for the actual game executable.   Both can be found in the same filepath location...here the path on my system:

C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries

Within the Binaries folder, look for the two "Application" file types 1) MassEffect   2) MassEffectConfig

so....

C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries\ MassEffectConfig.exe

**Run that one first and get the game setup with your graphic card prefs, etc..

then run

C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries\ MassEffect.exe

That should do it...let me know if it doesnt work, but it should.

Message 10 of 21 (39,210 Views)