Trying to get saves to work with Origin version

by Any_ILL

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Trying to get saves to work with Origin version

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello, I'm having trouble making my former save of the DVD (or CD I can't remember) version working with the Origin version of the game.

When I try to load them, an error appears "selected save game could not be loaded, downloadable content missing, module(s) in question: Turbulence à 900 000 pieds" (which is Bring Down the Sky if I'm not mistaken). Both DLC actually are installed and new saves works properly. I suspected that this was because my saves were from a french installation of the game and are unable to recognize the English name of the DLC (at the time I still played with French voices which isn't the case now) but I have no idea how to fix this.

I tried putting the game in French in the .ini files but that does nothing. The game is still in English when I write "Language=FRA" in the Engine.Engine section. If I check the Engine/Localization folder, I only find INT and JPN folders, no FRA folder which I'm guessing is the source of that specific problem, so no way to check if putting the game in French actually work. Where can I find the FRA localization folder?

And even if putting the game in French does end up working, is there a way to make my French save file compatible with the English version as I do not want to play in French, I want to play in English with the French save files.

Thanks for your help, I would hate losing my NG++ saves with all the proper choices and build already made.

Message 1 of 9 (1,060 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Trying to get saves to work with Origin version

@Any_ILL

Sorry for being unclear about that, yes you need to reinstall Mass Effect after you change the client language.

And I understand your Jennifer Hale problem, 90 of my characters are Female because of her.  Wink

I had the same problem once, but I have ME1 at Steam and quite frankly I can't remember if I got it working or just ended up starting a new game.

Did you tried to create new save games after you loaded up the old ones, and than change the language?

Alternatively you could try to install this version of BdtS. It contains the French and English language files. (But it is normally not meant to be installed on the Origin version, so I can't say if it will work.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 4 of 9 (1,181 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@Any_ILL

I think you're right, it is the different language that prevents the game from recognising the DLCs. 

Is that a European or Canadian version you downloaded.

If the first (I am not sure on the second) as far as I know should be able to change the language by changing the Origin language. 

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 9 (1,040 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Thank you for the answer. I did that (but it didn't magically make the language file appear, so the game is still in English), so I tried repairing the game too, or updating it but nope, the language is still English even though Origin is in French. I'm going to try reinstalling while Origin is in French.

edit: Ok post-reinstallation the game and the save works. But is there a way to put the game in English? When I do it simply by modifying the .ini, the saves don't work anymore. Can I somehow do it by replacing some of the files in the french folder by some file in the english folder? Just so that I get the english voices but everything else in French? Please help, I can't play without Jennifer Hale's voice anymore.

Message 3 of 9 (1,036 Views)

@Any_ILL

Sorry for being unclear about that, yes you need to reinstall Mass Effect after you change the client language.

And I understand your Jennifer Hale problem, 90 of my characters are Female because of her.  Wink

I had the same problem once, but I have ME1 at Steam and quite frankly I can't remember if I got it working or just ended up starting a new game.

Did you tried to create new save games after you loaded up the old ones, and than change the language?

Alternatively you could try to install this version of BdtS. It contains the French and English language files. (But it is normally not meant to be installed on the Origin version, so I can't say if it will work.)

Message 4 of 9 (1,182 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I tried creating a NG+ from my current save (and a new save while I'm at it) and the new save is subject to the same problems the old one had, only load in the French version. Also since I reinstalled, the problem now come from both DLC, not just one.

The .exe don't work with the origin version so that's a no go. The only solution I have left is either tempering with the save to make it recognize english stuff (no idea how I'd do that, it doesn't open in notepad) or tempering with the audio file to replace voices with their English counterparts (don't know where to start, I've explored the folders but I'm not sure I can even find the right files)

I'm probably going to end up artificially recreating my character with cheat-codes and hoping I'm making the decision I had chosen at the time I still knew what I was doing with that game. Even if I don't, as long asI can import my French save from ME1 to my English version of ME2 (at least I hope I can xD) I'll be okay in the end.

Thanks a lot for the help in any case, at least my original saves are not lost thanks to your first post, that's a big plus!

Message 5 of 9 (1,017 Views)

@Any_ILL

There is no save game editor for ME1 unfortunately.

You're welcome, and I hope you can set your character as you wish it to be.

Message 6 of 9 (1,001 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Thank you @Any_ILL for keeping us informed on this issue. And glad to hear, you were able to get those saves back. Enjoy the game and let us know if there is anything else we can for you.

Cheers,

Archi

Archi.png
Message 7 of 9 (968 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@EA_Archi To be perfectly clear, the reason I kept that thread open without considering any answer as a "solution" is because in the end there was no solution to the problem (at least none found). The French save keeps being incompatible with the English version no matter what I did, I had to use console commands to simulate as much of my old save as possible as if this was a "NG+" but it's not really a solution, I still have no idea how to use my French save with the English voices.

Message 8 of 9 (964 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Yes, @Any_ILL I`ve noticed that, and this was sent to our experts for investigation. Although this can take some time to look into, I am just glad to hear, you were at least able to get those original saves back. This is the best solution for the time being. 

Cheers,

Archi

Archi.png
Message 9 of 9 (948 Views)