[PC] Mass Effect Won't Start - A New Solution

by max_exter

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect Won't Start - Tried the Usual Things

Hero (Retired)

It's difficult to say.  Aside from some cut off sentences, I had no real difficulties with ME once it was properly installed and patched.  But I have no idea what sort of computer you're working with.  Are your video drivers updated?  

Message 71 of 166 (1,689 Views)

★★ Novice

Its an old game, maybe I expect to much.  Comp is Win 7, I5 & HD 6580 with up to date drivers.  It plays ok but sometimes I have no clue if a side mission is over. Then when Shep comes to a lower barrier & some walls he squats - like I hit ctrl. Plus he keeps getting hung up on or blocked by his teammates. It is what it is I deleted 2 saves trying to figure out a mission thinking it was like ME2 & 3 but now I have to start a new game.Finishing the game went to low on my prioritys. Then Steam had it on sale for 5 bucks - which is about what its worth.

BTW the guy at EA gave me a promo code for 15% off for the hassle! Anyway I think all it takes for win 7 is getting the product Ser# - then it installs & plays. I don't think the 1.02 install is necessary but I did it just in case. Thanks for your time

Message 72 of 166 (1,680 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Funny EA guys. I followed the instructions displayed here, then asked for a new code after linking to this site and describing the steps taken to get the game running.

Now I should wait for 24 to 48 hours to complete the order...

Nice try, EA guys, just one more reason not to buy via Origin anymore.

Message 73 of 166 (1,577 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Really?  I had no such waiting period.  I don't think most others did, either.  Perhaps you just won this Support Russian Roulette round.  

I did have to wait over an hour to actually talk to support, but that's about it.  

Message 74 of 166 (1,569 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Im using steam and im having the same problem. It simply wont start. Now i just downloaded the 1.02 patch and i thought it would work because i clicked on the shortcut and it was loading and then i directly played it from steam and it said "app is already running". Well it didnt end up working, i cant change the compatibility cause i cannot find the Executable file for mass effect which is driving me nuts. Please help!

Message 75 of 166 (1,544 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Maybe here?

c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\commons

Message 76 of 166 (1,543 Views)

★ Novice

how do i do that first step idk what any of that means and i have the same problem

Message 77 of 166 (1,533 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Can you be more specific?  Which part are you having trouble with?  

Message 78 of 166 (1,530 Views)

Re: [PC] Mass Effect Won't Start - A New Solution

★★★ Newbie

Your fix worked for me!  You sir, are now my hero.

Message 79 of 166 (1,506 Views)

Re: [PC] Mass Effect Won't Start - A New Solution

★★★ Newbie

Hmm I dont want to run the patch, i think they should fix it on Origin, I wonder what the status is.
There is a serial for mass effect one, tried the patch didnt work any more (just as stated)
Not realy in the mood of contacting EA about it at the moment...but hope they will find a fix

Message 80 of 166 (1,485 Views)