[PC] Mass Effect Won't Start - A New Solution

by max_exter

Original Post

Re: [PC] Mass Effect Won't Start - A New Solution

★ Novice

Well I followed every step, got a new key, spent 3 hours on support and still nothing. I honestly have no goddam clue about what to do next.

Message 141 of 166 (1,487 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Dexevara wrote:

Well I followed every step, got a new key, spent 3 hours on support and still nothing. I honestly have no goddam clue about what to do next.

Ok.  You did the phone stuff, so that's good.  How about the rest?  It's very easy to miss a step.  The most common mistakes tend to be on the compatibility mode step. 

What exactly is happening when you run it now?

Message 142 of 166 (1,485 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'd be amazed if they were looking into anything, since it's June 2014 when I tried and the whole thing is still busted. 

Message 143 of 166 (1,412 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Mass_Effect#Game_simply_doesn.27t_start

I listed every possible workaround for this bug. I hope there isn't one involving magic

Message 144 of 166 (1,363 Views)

★ Novice

You know, I bought the Steam version. That one works perfectly fine! The only thing you need to do is letting the .exe file run as administrator. Easy!

I know its a waste of money buying that version, since I already own thegame trough Origin, But I don't care. Its a good game!

Message 145 of 166 (1,360 Views)

Re: Mass Effect Won't Start - Tried the Usual Things

★★★ Newbie

Mine still wasn't working after all of that, was online with admins for about 4 hours, 3 different people, and it still wasn't working. All I did to get it to work was right click on the ME1 Icon on the desktop and went to properties, compatability mode, check the box Run this program in compatibility mode for: select your OS. Mine is windows 7 so I selected windows 7, also checked the box to Run this program as an administrator

Message 146 of 166 (1,226 Views)

Re: Mass Effect Won't Start - Tried the Usual Things

Hero (Retired)

Run as Admin and compatibility mode are both included in this solution.  However, in your case, compatibility mode was probably not necessary since you selected to run as the same OS version you are currently using.  Eg. You're running Windows 7 and you chose to run in a mode that assumes the application was written for Windows 7.  (Normally you would chose XP SP3) Run as Administrator was almost certainly the key for you.

Message 147 of 166 (1,222 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thank you so very much.  Thougt installing thru online download would be faster then from cd, couldn't have been more wrong.

Notepad solution with 1.2 patch worked for me.  Did not need to put in a new registration key.  Run as administrator on window 8.1.

Also installed Mass Effect 1 updated/Improved Texture Mod V1.Ob.  Running smooth so far.

Message 148 of 166 (1,076 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So the solution I found best was that you need to download 

NVIDIA PHYSX LEGACY SYSTEM SOFTWARE

here is the link.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.13.0604-legacy-driver.html

Message 149 of 166 (976 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

i don´t speak english, but I followed every step, and  for 2 hours waited for on support and still nothing....

someone help me!!! Confusedmileysad:

i need the new code

Message 150 of 166 (952 Views)