Mass effect wont launch wont launch from origin but 2 and 3 will?

by sideburnsG

Original Post

Mass effect wont launch wont launch from origin but 2 and 3 will?

★ Novice

so i bought the special edition mass effect trilogy at future shop. i installed all 3 in order on my pc. i had all 3 working fine yesterday but now the 1st one doesnt want to launch im re installing it as we speak. A launching mass effect window pops up. then dissapears and nothing happens. it doesnt makes any sence that 2 and 3 work fine when they are bigger games. the window pops up for 2 andf 3 and then they start running right after the window dissapears. i want to play the first one before getting into the 2nd and 3rd. so wtf. i do have windows 8 but seeing as how me2 and me3 are working correctly that cant be the issue either..

Message 1 of 21 (6,171 Views)

Re: Mass effect wont launch wont launch from origin but 2 and 3 will?

★★★★★ Expert

Have you patched ME-1 to 1.02 yet? 

Message 2 of 21 (6,120 Views)

★ Novice

when it downloads the update from origin isnt it downloading the patch? i did have ME1 working yesterday it seams that after i installed the 2nd and 3rd one that it didnt want to work. im gonna reinstall it re download the update and see if that works 

Message 3 of 21 (6,118 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

No, you must get the patch, just as the Sticky points out to Windows 7 users.  

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect/Information-Mass-Effect-1-and-Windows-7-You-need-patch-1-02-to/...

Meanwhile, the original ME-3 game's included PhysX was not always compatible with the PhysX that the older games were designed to use.  You might still need to remove the PhysX and replace it with the one from ME-1.  (All three will work with the older one.)

Message 4 of 21 (6,114 Views)

★ Novice

where can i download the patch ?

Message 5 of 21 (6,111 Views)

★ Novice

My pc says mass effect is version 1.2.2608.0

Message 6 of 21 (6,109 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@sideburnsG wrote:

where can i download the patch ?

IT WAS IN THE STICKY YOU REFUSED TO READ.  Sorry to shout, but it's siiting right up there on top where it belongs! 

I don't know what that other number you wrote is, but EA chose NOT to pre-patch any Trilogy game, other than the PS3 one, I think. 

Message 7 of 21 (6,104 Views)

★★ Novice

it won't let me get the patch because it says my mass effect doesn't exist

Message 8 of 21 (4,567 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I'm experiencing the exact same issue.

Problem: ME1 Fails to launch when downloaded and installed via Origin, Mass Effect Trilogy.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Download METrilogy via Origin.
  2. Install ME1,2,3.
  3. ME1 Fails to launch, ME2 Launches and plays fine (alibiet some crashing and bugs =)

Troubleshooting

Right Click ME1 Icon in Origin > Play Game

• First time - A window opens, asking for my product key. The button the enter the product key will click, but does not open any field to enter the product key. Clicked out of this window, repeat the process above (Right Click ME1 Icon in Origin > Play Game). Cloud sync activates, then nothing happens. No errors, no additional pop-up windows asking me for a product key.

Download patch, and attempt to execute.

• Upon executing the patch, I recieve a pop-up which reads, "Mass Effect is not found. Please reinstall the game from the original source and try again."

Further Troubleshooting

1. Right click the ME1 Icon > Repair Install > Re-attempt to execute the patch. Same error, this did not fix the issue.
  2. Right click the ME1 Icon > Check for Update > Origin returns a pop-up window "Game is up to date." Then, I execute the patch, Origin returns same as before, "Mass Effect is not found. Please reinstall the game from the original source and try again." 
  3. Next, right click the ME1 Icon > Play > Cloud Syncing activates, Syncs > Origin returns a pop-up window "Cloud Syncing not available for this game" -(paraphrased). Then, I execute the patch again, to see if anything happens. Nope, same as before, the patch doesn't recognize ME1 as being installed, and seems like it can't find it.
  4. Right click the ME1 Icon >Show Game Details > Could Storage Tab > Uncheck Enable cloud storage for all games. Try to Play, nothing happens.
  5. Try the patch executable again for funsies. Same error as before.

EA Support,

Maybe there is a command line we can try that will help the patch find the ME1 install upon execution?

Thoughts?

Message 9 of 21 (4,538 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Message 10 of 21 (4,531 Views)