Re: Mass effect 1 will not start on windows 7 PC. Downloaded from steam

by thefalcon52

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass effect 1 will not start on windows 7 pc. Downloaded from steam

★★★ Newbie

Basically bought ME1 and 2 from steam and when I go to run the game it comes up with" preparing to launch Mass Effect" then nothing.

Message 1 of 8 (5,384 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Newbie

Well I found out what my problem was and no offense but when the title give you the operating system of 7 or higher for this game, the only other piece of info needed is the brand of graphics card, not even specs are needed. For mass effect 3 I could understand but not 1.  I feel like you require too much unnecessary information for something obviously related to the game itself.

The issue was steam wasn't running as administrator.  To do this, close out steam completely, right click the steam icon and scroll down to run as administrator.  When it finishes loading, you will be able to log in.

View in thread

Message 5 of 8 (5,667 Views)

All Replies

Re: Mass effect 1 will not start on windows 7 pc. Downloaded from steam

Message 2 of 8 (5,360 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having a similar issue, only instead I get a BSOD that reads "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA". 

I'm not really sure where to start. I already attempted yet another uninstall/reinstall. 

Message 3 of 8 (5,358 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@goraththeelder wrote:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect/How-to-deal-with-tech-problems-and-tech-questions-the-report/td...

Everyone has to start with providing enough of the right kind of information, as per the linked Guide.

Otherwise, you are wasting your time, because No Data In = No Data Out. 

Message 4 of 8 (5,355 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Well I found out what my problem was and no offense but when the title give you the operating system of 7 or higher for this game, the only other piece of info needed is the brand of graphics card, not even specs are needed. For mass effect 3 I could understand but not 1.  I feel like you require too much unnecessary information for something obviously related to the game itself.

The issue was steam wasn't running as administrator.  To do this, close out steam completely, right click the steam icon and scroll down to run as administrator.  When it finishes loading, you will be able to log in.

Message 5 of 8 (5,668 Views)

★ Novice

Did you try going into the ME directory and setting the properties to Open as Administrator? I had the same problem until I did so.

Message 6 of 8 (5,344 Views)

Hero

@SalemX01 wrote:

I am having a similar issue, only instead I get a BSOD that reads "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA". 

I'm not really sure where to start. I already attempted yet another uninstall/reinstall. 

That's not a similar issue. You may have hardware failure, but it's more likely a driver issue. Can you tell us more about the BSOD? Does it mention any specific files?

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 7 of 8 (5,333 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you for solution.I don't understand why Administrator access is necessary. uPlay works just fine without it.

Message 8 of 8 (5,060 Views)