Mass effect 1 crashing with General Protection Fault

by null

Original Post

Highlighted

Mass effect 1 crashing with General Protection Fault

★★★ Newbie

Hello I recently bought Mass effect 1 and everytime I hit play the game acts as if its going to play then it crashes and comes up with this message General Protection Fault and it says the filename not found.

I have laptop with itell integrated graphics and dual core 2.13 processor running Windows 7 with 4gb of ram. More then enough last time I checked. Help!

Message 1 of 8 (11,210 Views)

Re: Mass effect 1 crashing with General Protection Fault

★★★★★ Expert

ME-1 is way too old for the silly smoke and mirrors offered by Intel, instead of proper game capable graphics hardware, to be able to fool it into accepting the low quality hardware, sorry.  

Message 2 of 8 (11,120 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Message 3 of 8 (11,064 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Garet, what are your specs? The OP says he uses integrated graphics, which aren't supported. If you have integrated graphics by Intel yourself, there's nothing you can do except upgrade your PC (if it's a desktop).

Possible causes for GPF are:

1. Unsupported hardware

2. Bad video drivers

3. A very specific sidemission on the Citadel where you have to get drugs in the clinic. GPF can occur randomly if that mission is in your journal and it stops occuring once you've completed the mission.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 8 (11,046 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hey thanks for the quick response.

I actually narrowed it down to this... it won't run if I have Flawless Widescreen enabled Frown

Seems to be working fine on single monitor 1920x1080 resolution.

It's really too bad because it doesn't fit properly in 5760x1080 resolution. It is all zoomed in and the menus and in game HUD are all outside, off the screen.

I guess I'll have to suffer with one-monitor until MassEffect2!

Thanks again.

Edit: Oh and here's my specs http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZg2

Message 5 of 8 (11,044 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok I have this same problem I have mass effect 3 also which runs brilliant. so I tried all that I could think of and decided to ring E.A .....bad mistake I was on the phone 1 hour and 32 mins and then placed on hold for another 30. they had no idea which is brilliant as they are supposed to be trained to know. you would think they would know all about the product they are selling but apparently not. sorry for ranting Confusedmileyhappy:

Message 6 of 8 (9,774 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

As remarked in the thread previously, there is no support for integrated video chips.  Additionally, many nVIDIA graphics drivers have been incompatible all through the game's history. 

Message 7 of 8 (9,771 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Try using troubleshoot compatibility.  It worked for me.

Message 8 of 8 (9,130 Views)