Mass effect 1 crashing, general protection fault

by juustus

Original Post

Mass effect 1 crashing, general protection fault

★★ Novice

Hello! I am having problems with game crashing when trying to play. Game worked fine until I got to the Citadel, but now it keeps crashing when I am in the wards at the market area. I am getting a following message:

"Rendering thread exception: General protection fault! History GMatrix2d::Swap() Address = 0x10bb5ed6 (filename not found)" and it goes on...

My game has the latest patch along with the bdts-dlc. Specs for my comp:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard: MSI MS-7756

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 

Does anyone know what's wrong? Compability issues with hardware or what?

Message 1 of 5 (20,030 Views)

Re: Mass effect 1 crashing, general protection fault

Hero

This is usually a problem related with graphics drivers, and Nvidia notoriously has awful support for Mass Effect. There are three causes for GPF that I know of:

1. Poor graphics hardware. Your hardware is fine, though.

2. Incompatible video drivers.

3. A very specific sidemission

The sidemission I speak of is one that takes place in the markets area, but it's pretty late in the game. At some time there is a sidemission where some guy asks you to get some drugs at Chloe Michel's clinic. The GPF error can occur randomly while this sidemission is active, so you can avoid it by not getting this mission, or by saving often and completing it as quickly as possible.

But as I said, this is pretty late in the game, so if you just got to the Citadel, it's probably a driver issue.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 5 (19,964 Views)

★★ Novice

I worked my way around this problem by deleting "Bioengine.ini" file from the game's files. When deleted the game creates a new file when you start the game and I played past the crashing part of the citadel.

Message 3 of 5 (19,941 Views)

★★★ Newbie

im crashing at the citadel
help pls

Message 4 of 5 (4,572 Views)

@Majestic_DZ

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/READ-FIRST-How-To-Get-An-ANSWER/m-p/5954288/highlight/true...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 5 (4,568 Views)