11-08-2012 09:03 PM
I have Mass Effect on Steam and since doing a fresh install of Windows 8, I'm unable to play it. I have tried comepletely disabling UAC and restarting my computer. I select "play," my computers is busy for a moment, and then absolutely nothing happens.
Solved! Go to Solution.
11-15-2012 04:17 AM
Thanks for your help, I did the following. I ran Steam\SteamApps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe once in the Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, then disabled it. It now runs perfect.
03-09-2013 07:32 AM - edited 05-07-2013 07:17 PM
"how to do run it on compatibility mode??"
1. Create a desktop shortcut to the game launcher ("\<user's game program path>\MassEffectLauncher.exe")
2. Right-click on it and choose "Properties" at the bottom.
3. Click the "Compatibility" tab at the top. (You can actually do steps 2-3 during step 1.)
4. Check the "Compatibility Mode"' box and select "WinXP (SP3) from the drop-down. (NOTE: For this kind of thing, I click the "Change for all users" first so that the change will work for everybody on my machine, even though no one else uses it regularly.)
5. Start the game from the shortcut instead of from the EA/Origin client.
(While one can apply the "Compatibility Mode" setting directly to the program file, I found that ME1 still wouldn't launch from my EA/Origin client.)
Found that I had to set the EA/Origin client to "Run a Administrator" to be able to launch the game when clicking "Play" from within "My Games".
Oh, and of course, one needs to apply the 1.02 patch in order to run the game on Win7 or Win8!
See this topic: [Information] Mass Effect 1 and Windows 7 - You need patch 1.02 to play, which is pinned to the top of this forum.
03-21-2013 01:46 AM
At least on my computer, there is no compatibility tab visible for masseffect.exe. Has anyone found a way to get around this?
Yeah the masseffect.exe seems to have no tab for it, change it for the masseffectlauncher.exe, mine starts now after deactivating onboard Graphics.