Re: 'Mass Effect is not found' whilst attempting to install Bring Down The Sky D

by Alcarin_Kitsune

Original Post

'Mass Effect is not found' whilst attempting to install Bring Down The Sky DLC

★ Novice

Hi, I recently bought Mass Effect via Origin and downloaded/installed it. I then downloaded the newest version of Bring Down The Sky (the one that as far as I know doesn't require an authentication code), but whenever I launch it to try and install I get the error 'Mass Effect is not found. Please reinstall the game from the original source and try again.'

I have also tried the older version of Bring Down The Sky where an authentication is required and I get the same error. Can anybody help me with this? I can't seem to find anything on Google.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 14 (16,147 Views)

Re: 'Mass Effect is not found' whilst attempting to install Bring Down The Sky DLC

★★★★ Novice

Did you follow the instructions and reinstall the game from source? If not, do it. If so, then your best bet is to patch Mass Effect to the latest version, make sure the game files aren't corrupted and try again. Sorry, that's all I got.

Message 2 of 14 (16,067 Views)

Re: 'Mass Effect is not found' whilst attempting to install Bring Down The Sky DLC

★ Novice

I've reinstalled the game yes, but what exactly do you mean from source? I'm downloading and installing directly from Origin - pretty sure I don't have much choice in the matter. The game is already at the latest version and if the files are corrupted I have no idea how that could've happened (like I said, have reinstalled).

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Message 3 of 14 (16,063 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello,

I have completely same problem. Mass Effect is not found.
I've tried to run it as admin, check many forums on the internet, but nothing helped me.

I have installed Mass Effect on D: drive, because C: is limited and used only for OS. Is this problem for BDtS DLC?

Another thing is how can I check, that any DLC is already installed? When I check Mass Effect description on Origin, there is no information that it is already including any DLC. But if I run MassEffectConfig, there are products keys for all DLCs and if I run game, there are both DLCs in downloadable content. Does it mean that both DLCs are already installed or not?

Message 4 of 14 (16,011 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

OK, I'm having the same problem, and I think I've just discovered something new.

Are you all using Mass Effect Trilogy? Because, apparently, both DLC (BDtS and Pinnacle Station) are supposed to be included in Mass Effect Trilogy.

I've just been into regedit, and there are registry entries for all three (the game itself, plus the two DLCs). There are some empty fields though.

But I've installed using Origin and there are no DLCs in the game (the DLC menu is empty).

Also, some of the registry entries don't have values. I don't know enough about the registry to know what should be there. Could someone with a working Mass Effect 1 + both DLCs tell me what should be in my registry? Or where to find the DLC files, if they're installed?

EDIT: And the plot thickens! I think I've found the DLC. They're in the DLC folder in the Program Files\Mass Effect directory. There are two folders named DLC_UNC and DLC_Vegas which, from what I can see on Google, correspond to the two DLCs (Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station). But they don't show up in the game! What's that all about?

FINAL EDIT: OK, I think I've solved it (for people with ME Trilogy, anyway). I uninstalled the game, but left the registry (with the entries for the DLC). I then set Origin to Win XP SP2 Compatibility and run as admin. I then reinstalled ME1 and, voila: both DLCs are there automatically!

I don't know whether you guys are using ME Trilogy but, if you are, you DON'T need to download either of the DLC seperately (even though EA customer support told me I did). They're already there. You just have to get the game to recognise them. Try doing what I did.

Message 5 of 14 (15,995 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Confusedmileyvery-happy: Hey martinusionannes

setting Origin to WinXP SP2 compatibility solved my problem with starting Mass Effect after installing from Origin Trilogy Pack. Thank you very much for this hint!

Message 6 of 14 (15,361 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Alternatively, just go into [C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\Binaries] and edit [MassEffect]'s compatability settings to [Win. XP SP2], and run it like that. Don't need Origin itself to be running on [Win. XP SP2]. Thanks for the original tip from martinusioannes! That's what led me to this solution in the first place. Cheers!

Message 7 of 14 (13,242 Views)

Re: 'Mass Effect is not found' whilst attempting to install Bring Down The Sky D

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I also got the Trilogy Pack. My DLCs do not show up in game. 

I am right now uninstalling ME1, and will reinstall; then I will switch the compatibility settings to XP SP2 before starting the game and see if they will show up in game. Will edit this post.

EDIT: Worked!!! Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station here I come!!! :D :D :D :D

Message 8 of 14 (12,106 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Okay, I've managed to make the DLCs work without having to uninstall the game.

All you have to do is execute Origin with the Win XP SP2 compatibility mode and update the game. Then execute the game at least once and verify that the DLCs are now there. From then on you can remove the compatibility mode from Origin and the game will recognize the DLCs with no problem.

Message 9 of 14 (11,384 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I can't even get the game to install at all. Windows 10 here.  I found the install file, flipped the compatibility to Win XP SP2 and still says Mass Effect is not found.  Of course it's not found...I'm trying to install it.  I've re-downloaded the file 5 times.  Pinnacle Station is the only one they give me.  I knew I should've kept the original disks.

Message 10 of 14 (10,424 Views)