Mass Effect 1 will launch but won't play

by mostlyjoid

Original Post

Mass Effect 1 will launch but won't play

★ Novice

The game will launch normally, it will go to the black screen w/ the loading icon, and then minimize itself. I can click on it and it will bring up the black screen again, but the audio is stuck on the first few seconds of sound (and sometimes repeats itself) before minimizing itself again. I have Windows 7 and I'm running it as an admin, tried compatibility modes, tried windowed mode, pretty much every solution I could find online. My graphics card says it's up to date and everything else should run it no problem. The only thing that changed from it running normally a few weeks ago to now is that everything was moved to a larger hard drive, but I've had no issues with any of my other programs. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 3 (335 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 1 will launch but won't play

★ Guide

Google it and found these two solutions:

1. Make a backup of the Mass Effect/Engine/BaseEngine.ini file.
  2. Open the Mass Effect/Engine/BaseEngine.ini file and change the following values:
  3. (first solution) UseEffectProcessing=false
  4. (second solution) UsePostProcessEffect=false

Try them and see if it works. Otherwise, we'll try to find a new fix.

Message 2 of 3 (324 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 1 will launch but won't play

Hero

Could you post a dxdiag file?

1.  Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
2.  You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
3.  Type dxdiag in the text field
4.  Click OK
5.  If your computer has a 64-bit version of Windows, click the button Run 64-bit DXDIAG (see screenshot below)
6.  If your computer has a 32-bit version of Windows or you have Windows 10, that button will not be available

7.  Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
8.  Save this text file to your Desktop if possible
9. Open the text file, select all the text inside (Ctrl + A) and copy it (Ctrl +C).
10. Go to http://hastebin.com/, paste the contents of your DXDiag inside (Ctrl+V) and click Save on the webpage (Ctrl+S).
11. Copy the link of the page in your post.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 3 (317 Views)