Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Mass Effect 1 not working on Windows 7 PC

by mattschtick

Original Post

Mass Effect 1 not working on Windows 7 PC

★★★★ Novice

Yesterday I downloaded Mass Effect 1 from Origin to my Windows 7 64bit PC. It would not play, it checked cloud data for a second then ...nothing. I have tried relaunching origin as administrator, I have tried WinXP compatibility (which gives a "ssleay32.dll" missing file warning). I have read on various forums that the problem might be with the product code. If I hover the mouse in Origin over Mass Effect in My Games and hit the information icon, there is no Product Code shown (all my other EA games do show a product code).

The poster who overcame this problem in this forum (http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-1/ssleay32-dll-missing/td-p/1436216) only succeeded after many long calls involving 3 tech guys and a total redownload of the game. I am hoping there is a Plan B. Thank you in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 3 (494 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 1 not working on Windows 7 PC

★★★★ Novice

BTW I have downloaded patch 1.02 but when I try to run it, it always gives me "Mass Effect not found, Please reinstall the game from the original source and try again" whether I have got Origin open as administrator or not. I have also tried these options with Cloud storage enabled and disabled. Other contributors have mentioned file  MassEffectLauncher.exe and I too do not appear to have this file in C/ Program Files (x86)/ Origin Games/ Mass Effect.

Message 2 of 3 (484 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 1 not working on Windows 7 PC

Hero

Is Origin required to run the game? If not, I'd bypass Origin completely and go straight for the executable file. I got Dragon Age from Origin and I also don't use Origin for that.

I do not work for EA.

Message 3 of 3 (473 Views)

Keep your account safe

We'll make sure it's you by sending you a code for your trusted devices.

Learn more about Login Verification on EA Help

Check out the new EA Help!

We want to make finding the help you need better, faster, and easier.

So, we’ve had some work done at help.ea.com