Re: Mass Effect 1 black screen upon startup

by DarkBanishing

Original Post

Mass Effect 1 black screen upon startup

★★★ Newbie

I recently acquired Mass Effect 1, but I seem to have a major issue with it. When I start it, it shows the usual Mass Effect logo, then when it proceeds to start the game, all I can see is a black screen. I can still hear sounds and music and the game definitely loads, because I can use my mouse and keyboard to to interact with the Main Menu components... it's just that I can't actually see anything. I tried running the game using WIndows XP Service Pack 3, as Admin, disabled Origin in Game... nothing seems to work. Any help in resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated, as I really look forward to replaying the whole trilogy.

Message 1 of 4 (904 Views)

Perhaps a video card  driver issue. Are you using the latest drivers? Which OS are you using?

Message 2 of 4 (897 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have Windows 10 now. I definitely don't use the latest drivers, though considering Mass Effect is from 2007 and my laptop is from 2012, the video card shouldn't be much of an issue, I have AMD Radeon HD6550M with 1 GB video memory.

Message 3 of 4 (890 Views)

It can be an issue for the origin client. I advise to update the driver for your radeon card. It doesn't harm to try it out. I bet (and hope Wondering) it wil work.

PS: older games on origin are adjusted so you can play them on modern systems.

Message 4 of 4 (868 Views)