Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 1 bad colors or lighting.

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Colors seem off or washed out.

https://i.imgur.com/IWdIBrc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/yUtjKcG.jpg

What's with the distortion on the wall and surfaces? Please note the red circle in the final pic.

https://i.imgur.com/mtinHqJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IwRH2yz.jpg

My PC has the specs to run this at maximum. I have used the texture mod and FPS Counter. Here is what I wrote in the BIOEngine.ini.

"DepthBias=.03
ShadowFilterRadius=5.000000
DepthBias=0.008000
MinShadowResolution=16
MaxShadowResolution=4096
ShadowFilterQualityBias=4

TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Diff=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Norm=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Spec=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)"

Btw the game runs perfectly, no crash it's just the appearance that's screwed. I also use the Radeon Pro app to adjust performance settings. Is there anything I missed? Another thing I noticed is "DepthBias" is listed twice could that be the problem?

Message 1 of 10 (2,868 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 1 bad colors or lighting.

★ Apprentice

@Holger1405

It's cool, I figured it out. The problem is with GPS Counter I brought up the menu and unchecked "enable post processing" and that did the trick. Here is the thing though, you lose something in doing that. Although the general texture mods remain in place (universal armor light-flickering, highlights and details in facial animations, etc.) you LOSE dynamic shadowing and precision color depth (custom colors/lighting adjusted by player) on characters goes away. They seem washed out without it. Good news disabling PP fixes the wall issue.

If I had to guess I'd say the one who implemented GPS Counter used a method that would allow him to extract the colors and layers off the walls and some how canvas it onto characters via player settings? Of course I'm just spit-balling here since I don't really know. Guys thank you for your help, especially you Holger. You guys should try this too, launch ME1 with all mods installed and click F12 key then find a tab that enables post-processing mode. See if it messes with your in-game walls and floors too. Something tells me that it will. The way I'm playing the game NOW I am using it with PP unchecked and OCCASSIONALLY checking it for the nice color boost on characters. It's a happy medium. My advice if your gonna use this look-away from walls and floors.

View in thread

Message 10 of 10 (3,080 Views)

All Replies

@Kaidan_Shut-up I think you've accidentally posted in the wrong place.  This is the forum for Garden Warfare 2.  Cheers!

Message 2 of 10 (2,857 Views)

★ Apprentice

Topic in correct forum. Updated topic, how do I get the colors right? I've provided pics of how the game looks there are distorted shades of green on the walls. At this rate the 360 version looks better.

Message 3 of 10 (2,792 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Try lowering the resolution.  Looks to me like you're seeing what happens when graphics designed around a previous gen's definition of "High Quality" get displayed on later (much better) hardware.

Message 4 of 10 (2,774 Views)

@Kaidan_Shut-up

Additional to @ThandalNLyman, did you tested with a vanilla BIOEngine.ini?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 10 (2,769 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice
I tested with vanilla Mass. Same problem. o_O

The 360 version on my Plasma seems to be dominating the PC version on a LCD when it comes to floor textures. I'm starting to wonder if it's the difference in monitors? I know LCD's have more lighting than Plasmas.
Message 6 of 10 (2,762 Views)

@Kaidan_Shut-up

Please create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply. You can do that  with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window. 

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 7 of 10 (2,757 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@Holger1405

Roger! Here's the the file.

Message 8 of 10 (2,740 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Kaidan_Shut-up

There is nothing in your DXDiag that would explain the problem.

Try this:

• make sure Origin/Steam and the game are closed
  • Rename the "BIOEngine.ini" to "Old_BIOEngine.ini"
  • Start the game.

If that don't helps, did you tried to change the in game graphic settings?

Try to disable Dynamic shadows and Motion Blur.

Did you tried to change resolution as @ThandalNLyman suggested?

Also look if there is a newer GPU driver available. If so preform a clean installation of the driver.

Message 9 of 10 (2,699 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Holger1405

It's cool, I figured it out. The problem is with GPS Counter I brought up the menu and unchecked "enable post processing" and that did the trick. Here is the thing though, you lose something in doing that. Although the general texture mods remain in place (universal armor light-flickering, highlights and details in facial animations, etc.) you LOSE dynamic shadowing and precision color depth (custom colors/lighting adjusted by player) on characters goes away. They seem washed out without it. Good news disabling PP fixes the wall issue.

If I had to guess I'd say the one who implemented GPS Counter used a method that would allow him to extract the colors and layers off the walls and some how canvas it onto characters via player settings? Of course I'm just spit-balling here since I don't really know. Guys thank you for your help, especially you Holger. You guys should try this too, launch ME1 with all mods installed and click F12 key then find a tab that enables post-processing mode. See if it messes with your in-game walls and floors too. Something tells me that it will. The way I'm playing the game NOW I am using it with PP unchecked and OCCASSIONALLY checking it for the nice color boost on characters. It's a happy medium. My advice if your gonna use this look-away from walls and floors.

Message 10 of 10 (3,081 Views)